Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Animal Cruelty?

Iv live with my father for 6 years now and have had pet dogs for about 2 years now. an uncle of mine moved in 2 years ago and ive known forever that he does not like dogs but he also knew that dogs lived here. well i let my dogs out in our back yard to do there business and play. today I saw that he placed giant rat traps and sticky traps around his car. I asked him why he did that and he said because my dog was pissing on his tires. I said ok but I need you to remove them because those are big enough to brake his paws. his reply was well if he is stupid enough to fo there them **** him heshouldnt be pissing on my car. I want to know what action i can take about this because my kids, neices, and nephews also play back there. is there anything i can do legally?

Favorite Answer

anyone willing to break a dog's paws and not fix the problem when confronted with it is dangerous for a plethora of reasons. i wouldn't put it past him to do even worse things you're not aware of.

• Star_of_Darkness

Legally there's nothing OP can do. The house belongs to the someone else and they can legally put the traps down for rats and if the dogs get caught, oh well. Its OP"s fault for not controlling the dogs

Move out

He can legally set out rat traps and the like on his property for rats. And you also let the dogs run loose, don't train them and let them damage his property so move out. 

And you can't prove he didn't put the traps down for the dogs. Legally you can do nothing. Its his property and he can put the traps down if he wants. You need to move out and TRAIN the dogs 

You talk about this with your father.  He either OWNS the house or he rents the house - in his name. Therefore, he CONTROLS the environment.  He needs to SET THE RULES.

You need to point out what is going on and that despite trying to reason w/ your uncle, you have not come to a good compromise.

I want to know WHY your uncle is parking his car inside a fenced part of the back yard RATHER than in the driveway or on the street.  That is where cars are supposed to GO and dogs are usually relegated to the fenced backyard.  It is a LOT of work to drive the car out (if it rains - he can get mired in mud) and he is KILLING the grass under the car.  The traps were put out by him -due to your dogs, not FOR RATS and are dangerous to not only your dogs but to kids & any feral cats.

As you say, your uncle KNEW you had dogs and you were ALREADY LIVING there. If he doesn't want your dogs pissing on his car - he OUGHT NOT TO PARK IT in the dog's part of the yard. {REAL SIMPLE}. But he "gets off" being a mean & pathological BULLY. This is HIS WAY of being passively aggressive to you & the dogs; perhaps TO GET your to move out - which may be your best option if Dad refuses to boot your (crazy, animal abusive) uncle. (Booting your uncle out - is what your father SHOULD DO) since the man poses a risk, to not only the dogs, but to any other animals, or children.  Surely if he needs rent money, he can find another room mate.

Legally there is nothing you can do the law plainly states that your dog has to be on a leash! your dog should not be able to go urinate on somebody's car tires or wander around the front yard if he's in a fenced-in backyard then he's restrained the same as if he's on a leash but legally if your dog is roaming around off of the leash and something happens to your dog it's your fault because you did not comply with the leash law

I would talk to your dad about what is going on. Maybe he can come up with something to help the situation. Maybe he can park his car somewhere else or something because he's not only putting the dogs in danger but also the kids if they are curious enough to go near the car to figure out what is laying on the ground near the tires. 

In the meantime is there a way you can get a temporary fence to put up for the dogs? And maybe lock them up in your room and lock your bedroom door so he can't do anything to them to be spiteful? That would be my only concern if you left the house to run some errands that he would do something stupid to them while you were gone.

• yea i thought of that. they are behind a fence by my window right now. i put there bed in my restroom incase i leave

Take your dog out on a leash.   That way you know he's not in physical danger, nor is he pissing all over someone else's car. 

Id callout the FBI In the meanwhile let one tyre down at night so he thinks he has a puncture and he has the trouble of changing a wheel for nothing.

Ask your father what he thinks you should do.  Maybe he can park the car somewhere else.