would you rather drive a ugly old car and stay debt free? or a fancy car with a loan?

I love my ugly, old, paid-for car, but at a point my wife wanted a new car, so we bought one for her. Now her car, though not ugly, is paid for and she is contented with it. I still have my old, ugly car, though we drive hers the most.

• e9601:

An old car is just fine. It gets me where I want to go. That's all that matters.

• Oh4 weeks agoReport

I would drive a 1807 rolls Royce wambance 

depends on how well- maintained the ugly old car is.

I drive a 20 years old car and i am very happy with it. I hate being in debt and wasting good old things.

• Mystic

I would much rather drive an older car that is in my price range. I do not like the ideas of owing debts, doing loans, using credit cards, etc. I prefer to stick to my bank card for payments (or cash). That way, if I don't have the funds, I don't get the goods. The way I see it, you should live within your means. If you know you can't realistically afford something, don't try to beg, borrow and steal to get it unless it's life or death (like unexpected medical expenses). With a car, I know the newer ones are super appealing. They have such advanced safety features such as backup cameras, park assist, lane departure warning, impending crash warnings, etc. It's truly remarkable. But not everyone can afford such luxuries. 

You will be ok with a "common" car as long as you are a good, responsible driver. It isn't always YOU to worry about either. Some people are just absolute awful drivers. They don't care or pay the least bit of attention. If they hit you, it's their fault. Just do your part. Try to prepare for it as much as possible if you can and just try to get as much info about the other driver that you can should they decide to take off/leave the scene. 

Really fancy cars like your Lamborghinis and what not are just obnoxious. It is a way for rich folks to say "LOOK AT ME! LOOK WHAT I HAVE!". There is no way I'd buy a $200,000 car even if I COULD do it. There are far better uses for the money in my opinion. I'd rather buy a "normal" car (even one of the preciously mentioned ones with advanced safety features) brand new for like $20,000-$30,000 and be happy with it.

The way I see it, if you can't afford it, you probably shouldn't get it. With cars, yeah it's hard to be walking a car lot and see all the "nice" ones, knowing damn good and well you have to walk right on by and go to the "cheap zone" because it's what your budget allows. BUT - if you have a good, reliable and safe car, that's all you really need, right? As long as it's in good running condition, is up to date on all maintenance needs and is cared for, who cares? Yeah it might be "old" and it might not look as pretty as a brand new one, but who cares? It isn't going to a car show. Its job is to safely get me to and from my destinations.

Never compare yourself to others or feel "bad" because you can't afford something someone else can. You don't even know if they truthfully CAN afford what they have. They may have a lot of debt for all you know. Living within your means will make life much easier for you in the long run because you won't have to worry about having a bunch of unnecessary debts and bills to try to juggle and pay.

no, i am not doing this

There are the filthy rich  (and near-rich who can write-off luxury items as business expenses) who can drive whatever they want . . . . . but most of the semi-lux cars like BMWs & low/mid level Benzes & Lexus are driven by "nickel millionaires":  leased or financed.  

Me:  when I was young, had to finance my cars - even the used ones.   Many of my friends now lease - - - but I find it very satisfying to carefully shop for a new car, get a good deal, and write a check to pay for it.  Nothing too expensive - and I keep them for 10 years or so . . . . but they're all mine and I don't care what anyone else thinks.

Generally I have tried to do the best of both worlds.  I buy a new(er) car that should retain its looks and try to drive it after the loan is paid off and after the newness is gone.  By looking after it, i hope it would run forever and never look bad.

If I was giving advice to some kid, I would say to get the ugliest old car that will run forever and put your ego into something else.

• arther

I've been driving the same car for the last 6 years I haven't borrowed money to buy a car since the 90's I think the loan lasted longer than the car I brought on finance.

I drive a 2005 Malibu with about 200,000 miles on it. It's been written off two times.

ONE - was a deer strike and I pitched in the extra money to the insurance company to fix it.

TWO - was hail storm. I let the Insurance company pay out and then purchased the car back from them. The car is severely dimpled but nothing was broken.

The car runs well and I maintain it well. My intent is to run it until it refuses to run anymore.

I don't have to look at the exterior when I drive it and everything works. It might be worth 8 or 9 hundred bucks used. What am I going to replace it with for that kind of money.

OH, and BTW --------- my wife and I are totally debt free except for monthly utilities and taxes.