Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 3 weeks ago

How to Deal with Noisy Upstairs Neighbor?

The guy that lives above me in my apartment is a loudmouth. He talks loud, walks loudly, even coughs louder than any human I've ever heard (obviously he can't help coughing). Something he does that I can't stand is constantly yelling at his dog and the dog that lives above him. Any time his dogs make a noise he shrieks at them to "Shut the eff up!" at the top of his lungs. When the dog above him barks he yells and swears at it over and over. He once banged on his ceiling so loudly I could hear it clearly in my apartment and it freaked my cat out.

I have no problem with someone trying to keep their dogs quiet but it's the way he does it. Screaming profanities at the dogs, I would rather hear the barking to be honest. He does this on almost a daily basis. 

As a tenant do I have a right to complain about this to my landlord? I would confront him myself but he seems very angry and frankly I'm a little afraid of him. Anytime I've tried to be friendly and say hi he just glares at me.

• John

I moved into a house.

Call the Humane Society and report the constant animal abuse. That should fix some of the problem. Now, you would just have to deal with him. Report it to the landlord.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • Bort

You do have the right to peace and quiet in your home. You do have the right to file a complaint. I would say something too. I'm not afraid of anyone even if they're 10 times my size. Violence is illegal. Nobody can legally attack another person for any reason. If he attacks another tenant that's even more reason for the landlord to remove him from living there.

You're probably not the only one he is disturbing. Talk to your neighbors. If all of the tenants complain the landlord isn't going to have much of a choice by common law (being human) to approach him about it.

Let him flip out and act crazy if that's what he does. If he's banging things around, smashing, hitting, throwing, destroying things call police. The more problems he causes the more willing the landlord is going to get to throw him out.

You could try talking to your landlord or simply talking to the guy yourself but he doesn't appear to be breaking any laws so its not clear if this will do any good.  Still, no harm in asking the landlrod to talk to him or even doing it yourself.

Your options, in order:

1.  The first step is always to address the issue directly with the guy.  Hard, I know and it probably won't fix the problem, but before you complain to management, you should try.

2.  You have every right to complain about an overly loud or obnoxious neighbor.  You need to document the swearing and yelling. Record it if you can.  If you compile a clear enough "case" your landlord or management company should at least talk to the guy.  If others complain as well, he might get a warning or evicted.

3.  Move.  The reality is that your landlord is unlikely to do very much.  If you are a good, long-term tenant, they may take action if you give notice due to the noise.  They may not.  Some people simply are loud and obnoxious -- and probably shouldn't rent apartments where neighbors are so close.   

The only way to deal with this kind of a problem is to fight fire With fire. You get yourself an old cassette tape and a set of very large speakers and a large amplifier. Then you make a circle loop on a circle loop cassette of a high pitch tone just high enough so that it cannot be by yourself. You play the circle loop tape night and day as high as you can possibly play it. you might want to get a decibel meter to confirm that you're actually getting a tone because you won't be able to hear it with your ears. It will rattle your neighbors teeth it will drive the dog literally insane and within a week your neighbor will have to leave. He won't know what's wrong all he'll know is that he's extremely uncomfortable and his dogs going crazy. And even if he kills his dog it's not going to stop his discomfort from the ultrasonic wave. he'll still go so crazy he won't be able to sleep he won't be able to get comfortable. He'll be gone in a week or less. You might need some earplugs yourself.

Write a friendly letter, put it in an envelope and tape it to his door.

Source(s): en

DISTURBING THE PEACE IS BREAKING A LAW..excessive noise is a violation.  unfortunately just yelling a dog isn't enough to call animal control.  just because violence is illegal, doesn't make you less dead.

actually, yeah, people can sometimes quiet a cough...if course you can complain, it is violating your peaceful enjoyment.  if you can get the other neighbors (above him, next to him) to verify it will help....if you can get a sound recording it will help...get enough evidence, you can even pursue a criminal charge.

legally, your landlord has to reasonably ensure your peaceful enjoyment...and that includes dealing with disruptive neighbors.

it can take months to remove him...but if landlord doesn't try, you can sue the landlord for breach of lease

Record it on your phone, then go to your landlord about it.

Yes, you mention this to your landlord...