Can I transfer to a public university with an F?

I'm planning to transfer to Southern Oregon University. My GPA is well above there requirement to transfer but my single F makes me nervous. Will this single F impact there decision to accept me or will they just look at my good GPA? Thank you.

One grade of F probably is not a deal-killer if your overall academic record is good.

• Laurie

As long as you meet the admission/transfer requirements, it will not matter. However, if the class is required for the degree you are pursuing, you will need yo retake the class — and pass it.

It will depend on the number and qualifications of the other transfer applicants.  If they have enough applicants with equal or better qualifications, they may not select you. Obviously, you won't get any credit for the course in which you got an F, but if your overall GPA is solid and you've completed the requirements necessary to transfer, it is very likely that you'll be admitted. 

It might also depend on when in your academic career the F happened, if you've retaken the course and received a better grade, and whether or not the class is an important prerequisite for your major.

if ur cumlative gpa exceeds theirs, you'll be fine. they will see that F was out of your character and will take into consideration that you might have been going through something at that time. it also shows your ability to bounce back after a defeat.

• Brian

It doesn't bode well that you're asking this on YA, rather than asking SOU.

If SOU turns you down, will you reply "But YA told me I'd be OK!!!!"?