How to split taxi fare on two different addresses?

So my friend and I took a taxi home from the store and our total fare was $32.50. She got dropped off first. So from the store to her house was $25 and from her house to my house was $7.50. I live only five minutes away from her house. So she gave me $20 when she got dropped off and I paid $12.50. Is this even? She paid more and I feel like we should have split it equally. I’m sorry I know this is just simple math but I’m a little confused.

To elaborate my question more, how do you split it when you don’t even know what the total fare is going to be? 

Yes she [aid a bit more this time.  Sometimes I pay more and sometimes my friends pay more. Assuming you paid a tip, on a 32.50 bill I would have given at least $35.  So you paid about $2.50 more.  As long as its not the same friend or person that seems to always pay a bit short.  When someone who always says or agrees to split the bill, but they seem to always order big items.  Once its done a few times, we all say nothing, but then one day after he/she orders the $25 item, when everyone else orders $12-$15 meal, we tell the waitress to give separate checks.  Since you are worried about it that would not be you.  If you are not going out with her any time soon, next time you meet, buy her a cup of coffee.  Otherwise I would not worry about it.

You owe her $5. You split the fare for the ride when you're both in the cab. You pay everything for the time you're alone.

• How do I owe her $5? From the store to her house was $25 but she only gave me $20 so doesn’t that mean she’s the one who owes me $5? From her house to my house was only $7.50. You said you pay everything for the time alone so I should have only paid $7.50 because that’s the fare when I’m alone.

< how do you split it when you don’t even know what the total fare is going to be >

You have to estimate it.Let's say both you and her live roughly in the same area so it's not like the cab had to drive to her place and then backtrack a lot to get to her place. If that happens then it gets more complicated.You both split the cost to her place or $12.50 each (half of $25).  Then you pay the fare to your house which is another $7.50 for a total of $20 but you got away with $12.50.  $15 for her to pay would have been about right if you want an approximate number without pulling calculators.

• Laurie

Don’t sweat the small stuff... life is too short.

should be $16.25 each to split the bill evenly

• Eva

She should have paid 1/2 the fare from the store to her house. You should have paid the rest. You need to take the tip into account as well.

If both were riding separately

1 = $25

2 = $32.50

total $57.50

$32.50 is 57% savings

57% of $25 = $14.25

You pay the rest which is $18.25

Not counting a tip $15 would be closer but why worry about the $5?

If she had taken the cab by herself it would have cost her $25. If you had taken the cab by yourself it would have cost you $32.50. Together as separate rides it would have cost $57.50. I will leave the tip out of it for now. So she saved $5 by sharing a ride, and you saved $20.00 Now the tip comes in. The driver took a risk dropping her off if he did not get paid until the very end. In essence, from his point of view, he gave her a free ride. Had you done separate rides he would have made more money so you need to take that into account when you tip. Whenever I do a ride share with one other person I double the tip. She was probably figuring you would do something like that.

• nicola2782 weeks agoReport

It might not necessarily have cost the second person $32.50 as the cab driver may have taken a less direct route to drop the first person off and then continue on to the second home.  The total bill should be split, each will save money. 

friend = 25/2 = 12.5

you = 25/2 plus 7.50 = 20

Well if you paid what you used it would be above.

if you split in half it would be 16.25

• Kaysibabes
      2 weeks agoReport

You could run a tab with your friends - everything that gets bought is put on list - and is checked and evened out for time to time