Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Can a teacher make such a rule?

There is a bell that rings at the beginning and end of the period.  When the bell rings at the end of the class period, it’s time to go to the next class.  The teacher in my 10th grade math class has one of the classroom rules (#6) that states “The bell does not release you...I DO!”  Can the teacher really not allow you to exit the room until she says so even though the bell signals the end of the period? 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

When I was in school, we had 3 minutes between bells.  Being kept for 30 seconds could make you tardy to the next class.  A teacher could likely attempt discipline for insubordination.  But, it would be the principal or administrator that would need to correct them if their actions are unreasonable.  Speak to the principal about it and see if they will intervene.  The principal would almost certainly also not tell the teacher which student told if the teacher is doing this to a whole class.  But, if the principal backs the teacher, tough. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

The bell is for the information of the teacher. It isn't a signal for the brats to run out of class.

• 1 month ago

And the bad news is that you are not "saved by the bell."

• 1 month ago

Absolutely has that right

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Don't tick this teacher off and there won't be a problem.

• blank
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

Sorry - I just have to:   She's a HS math teacher, there will be plenty of problems.  =_)

• 1 month ago

Yes, they can do that.

• jimmy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Probably can, but then you have a good excuse for being late to your next class.

• 1 month ago

Yes. The bell is nothing but a reminder of time. Check your student handbook to be sure.

• 1 month ago

Oh to have something like this an "important" concern in my life......

• 1 month ago

They're absolutely correct. Thats not just a rule they're making up, thats a rule EVERY school operates by.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.