Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 3 weeks ago

Is this person toxic to me?

My uncle told me that I'm lazy,have no skills and ambition and not good at anything.

He even gave me a piece of paper and told me to draw something when i didnt want to.

He meets me just once a year.He doesn't even know me well.I think I'm doing well in school.My grades are good and i participate in school events.I read books and write poems.I'm into sports as well.The teachers have a lot of good things to say.

When i give him this explanation he just blindly rejects it and goes on his rant about how I'm not good at anything.Of course I'm not perfect i have my flaws.He has even ridiculed me in front of everyone for these flaws.

For example me using my iPad frequently.He just assumes that I'm only playing games while that's not true i use it mostly for reading e books.But he just dismisses my explanation.

• Laurie
    Favorite Answer

He is probably toxic - if he is mistaken. If he is correct, he is just honest. 

Always remember that, short of physical force or restraint, nobody can make you do — anything. 

He may be accurate with his impression, but definitely not tactful or inspiring. You may want to ask him how you can improve yourself, and if he’s nasty toward you in his response, then he’s simply a bully, and you should try to steer clear of him.

"Toxic" ONLY if repeated harassment and everything is totally false. Is your uncle calling you out because you really ARE lazy, lack skills, education, ambition, or any effort? Where does the truth lie? What's really going on here?

most importantly: toxicity is a pattern of behavior, not a single incident. in the words of Penn Gillette "you don't have a right to not be offended" (and you probably shouldn't try not to be offended, you grow from the experience of it).

it's not toxic if its true. you don't give us any indication it's not. most likely his motives are good, he's trying to show your weakness and giving you a tool to compensate for it. its very hard to motivate someone who doesn't want to do anything though. again, it's only toxicity if the motive is malicious, otherwise a kind word from you to him in these kinds of situations can dispel all manner of conflict and anger.