Anonymous

Would Boats and Hoes be a good audition song for Columbia? Planning to study vocal music to be a rapper?

I have decided that I would like to pursue a career as a rapper. Columbia university has a good music program, and I wonder what you think of Boats and Hoes as an audition song.

How can I fund such an education as my cost of attendance that my parents refuse to pay for is more than the cost of a Porsche.

How could I make this work? Potential full ride scholarship? Coca Cola scholarship?

• DON W

Columbia is one of the most expensive, most difficult to get into colleges in the US.

Do you have truly outstanding grades and SAT scores?  That's even before you think about auditions.

Exhibiting racism, hatred, disparagement, hostility to any person or group is not going to get you any points with any audition or admissions committee. And rap is often associated with hatred, racism, discrimination, etc. Even the term ho is offensive.

You're not getting a full-tuition scholarship to any university or music conservatory as a rapper. You have too many alternatives to establish a career without any college degree at all. Furthermore, if you're any good, have a following, you can already earn enough to pay all school + living expenses (yes, even NYC living costs!) without any financial aid at all.

Such a course of study might be better done at the University of Compton.