Crike asked in PetsCats · 3 weeks ago

How to check for allergies for certain cats?

My mom is allergic to cats, but my family wants one. My sister was offered a russian blue which is from my research a good cat for people with allergies. But my mom could still have a reaction to it. I m not sure how to get my mom tested for the allergies to this certain cat. My mom has really bad allergies so I dont want to risk bringing the cat close to my mom. Thank you

Favorite Answer

Often times, what people are allergic to is the DANDER, nothing more. Kind of on a par with our dandruff; just the dry, flaky bits of skin and old hair and sheds off the cat. If you keep the shed to a minimum by grooming the cat daily, cleaning up all traces of fur and flakes, and vacuum daily, this will greatly minimize allergy attacks. There is no other way to check your mom, unless she gets the scratch test from an allergist.  

LOL that your "sister was offered a Russian Blue". From WHERE? A RUSSIAN BLUE BREEDER? If not it's just a no breed blue domestic. There's maybe 6 breeders of the Russian Blue in the US and kittens START at around $1,000. No one's giving them away.

NO cat is a right match for your family BECAUSE YOUR MOTHER IS HIGHLY ALLERGIC TO THEM! Your "family" wants one? Bull$hit. You and your selfish, immature sister want one. I'm sure your father doesn't want one because again, YOUR MOTHER IS ALLERGIC YOU STUPID, SELFISH CHILD.

• ZotsRule
      3 weeks agoReport

And FYI - you're also a CHILD.  No shelter OR breeder would allow you to adopt or buy a cat or kitten!

• PAMELA

Any cat will be a problem for your mother, it is the animal scurf that causes the allergy, and all cats have it!

• ZotsRule
      3 weeks agoReport

Scurf??  It's called DANDER.

Then you do not get a cat. If she's allergic then no cat. If you get one any way then she will get rid of it and you will whine about it

You can wait until you move out 

• Sandy