Is it ok for me to wear a sari to my best friends engagement party?

My best friend is Indian by heritage and is throwing an engagement party in a couple weeks and has invited me to be the honorary maid of honor. (They don’t officially have a title in traditional Indian weddings). She gave me a sari for my birthday last year and I thought it would be great to wear it to her party but I don’t want to offend anyone by wearing it since it isn’t my culture. And I don’t want to ask her because I want it to be a surprise if I do. Is it ok? Or should I just wear a traditional western dress? 

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

If you're not ethnically Indian you'd be playing with fire in wearing a sari to this party. I just wouldn't. Even if the bride says it's okay one supposes her family might have other ideas.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Sparky
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

I think it would be nice to wear the gift she gave you

• 3 weeks ago

I am Indian man. Do wear the Saree. Everybody will like it. 

Btw- Stay away from her man and be ready for other men to ask you for your number. Have fun :)

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

I would ask her.

Some might think it's nice you are embracing the family's culture and others might take offense at cultural appropriation.

It's never inappropriate to ask the host what kind of attire is suitable for the occasion. 

• Quentin3 weeks agoReport

I agree. But, use the sari a few times first, to get used to it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • sarah
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

Well, I'm assuming that she's okay with you wearing it since she gave it to you as a gift...but I don't think it's really appropriate to wear it to an event that's supposed to be all about her and her fiance. Why not save it for a fun night out?

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

It will be a surprise when you ask her so go ahead and ask. I believe it's best.

• 3 weeks ago

Ask one of her relatives if it's appropriate to do.

• GB
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

If your friend was the sort to be offended by outsiders wearing something from 'her' culture she would not have given you a sari. If you have never worn it yet, you should not only consult her, but ask her to show you how to put it on.

• 3 weeks ago

Like drip said, ask. No harm in that, but I WILL say that with many Indian weddings, regardless of it being your culture or not, often times Westerners (or anyone not of their culture) whom they allow in the weddings (I know, it's not official or anything and they don't have maids or a wedding party) are required to wear their garb. It's not the same thing as cultural appropriation to them, it's inviting others to celebrate their culture. My best friend's father's cousins both went to India and "went native," as the saying goes. Any time they come to the states, my friend is pretty much expected to wear her sari when they throw a party. It's sweet :)

• drip
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You ask her. Don’t worry about the surprise. Tell her the sari she gave you is beautiful and would it be ok to wear it to the engagement party.   This is not the time for a surprise.  You could end up being the only women in a sari. Or she may think it a wonderful idea.  Ask the bride.

• Maggie3 weeks agoReport

You are right. This isn’t a time for a surprise. Thank you. I needed a reality check.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.