Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 3 weeks ago

A neighbour known locally as the village idiot reported my dog because she chased his cat.?

The cat ran across the road in front of my dog. My dog chased the cat to its garden where my dog gave up the chase.

Neighbour complained to dog warden and a council officer came to visit me. I explained that the neighbour is known locally for his lunatic behaviour and that I've owned numerous dogs, all well trained and cared for. I thought that would be the end of the matter.

A few days after the officer's visit, I received a letter asking that I keep my dog on a 2 meter lead whilst in the village.

I am infuriated that, based on the one comlpaint by this idiot, my dog's activities should be restricted. I am waiting to speak to the officer again but wonder what legal action I can take about this?

The neighbour's cat is a straying cat which, sooner or later, will most likely be run over. It is unwanted in my garden and I am happy when my collie chases it out. The local blackbird population has suffered because of straying cats like this one.

I find it ridiculous that "Cat Nut" should be able to dictate how I should conduct my affairs. My dog pulled the lead from my hands, most likely because he whistled her across (he whistles for his cat in full view of my home very often).

Helpful answers only please. If you are a straying cat owner, don't tell me how much you love your cat if you're willing to let it cross roads,etc, and hope for the best over its survival.

Answered because most of the other answers were asshole answers.

• Ocimom

Sorry but both of you are in the wrong.  YOUR dog was off your property.  So she is NOT so "well trained" like you claim as you did nothing to stop her from chasing the cat.  

The cat owner is also in the wrong as the cat was not in his/her yard at the time.  Both of you need to keep your animals on your property at all times - whether its on a leash or a fence.

Use a shock collar. 

If you had of been holding on to the leash the right way the dog would not have jerked the leash to chase the cat. You had NO control of your dog.

You are not more restricted than you were when the dog jerked loose. You can still use a 6 foot leash & that is a normal length by law.

This was all because you did not hold the leash were you had 100% control of your dog.

No legal actions are possible, you were in the wrong.

Boring troll story.

There is no legal action to take.

There are leash laws for dogs and not for cats.  That's just the way it is. 

"My dog pulled the lead from my hands"    If you cannot control your dog even when it's on the leash, you are likely to continue to get in trouble.   You may likely be sued if your dog gets loose and hurts another animal or causes an auto or bike accident.

It's your responsibility to control your dog. 

• E. H. Amos
      3 weeks agoReport

You can be SUED if your dog causes damage to a car, even if the car KILLS your dog.

• Maxi

"The cat ran across the road in front of my dog. My dog chased the cat to its garden " so your dog is not  " well trained " otherwise it would not have reacted and run across the road......... you are lucky that is what the dog warden told you to do and you are not visiting the vet with an injured dog and being sued by a car owner for your dog causing an accident/damaging the car........ you have to remember dogs are property in the UK cats are not and because dogs are property they can be restricted by law   

You can be as infuriated as you want to, the law says dogs have to legally be under control at all times when in public so you have no case legally at all

Good. Your dog was out of your control where it shouldn't have been. Leash it up  when off your property and keep it inside or behind a secure fence when not. There is no legal action to be taken because you were equally irresponsible for having an unleashed dog where I bet there is a leash law and if there isn't a leash law you're still responsible for keeping your dog under voice control.

Well dogs should be leashed in a built up area.

When I first left the armed forces and bought my home and land the place was inundated with stray cats that nearly killed all of my chucks, along with the wild mink until i put my sheepdogs to work on them  Now theres no stray cats or wild mink here anymore and my chooks  live their lives without the fear of either

Source(s): Just an ole shepherd his working dogs and stock
  • Sandy

your dogs aren't "well trained" if they can go chasing after every stray cat that comes along. your dogs need to be leashed. use a pepper spray to keep the cats away or some other deterrent.