g
g asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 3 weeks ago

rotary tool spec rpm?

What's a good range of rpm for a rotary tool?

Within my budget I can get a dremel 7750 which is a cordless rotary tool in the lower end of the dremel range. It's no load speed is rated from 8000 to 20000rpm, I think there is a limit for the 20k rpm of one minute.

I don't know if I will be able to run 20k rpm over one minute if I keep it plugged in.

My other option is a chinese made Proskit or Eclipse tools pt5501 which is a wired tool, no load from 10k to 32k rpm and comes with 40 accessories (dremel has 11).

I don't know if the dremel's limited accessory kit is an indication of the jobs it can't do due to the lower rpms, it mainly comes with kits for polishing and sanding while the Proskit has cutting and drilling tools.

The dremel is twice the price of the other one, I'm tempted to go for the cheaper one with more accessories.

I need it for jobs around the house that includes cutting plastic and steel. Also drilling holes in ceramic and porcelain pots. 

• John

Go for price if the quality is reasonable. Go wired. You are a hobbyist, buy better if and when you develop a need for it. You can use any accessory that fits in a collet. There are thousands.

the higher rpms are essentially useless, in my experience. I'd still get the one with more tools

Source(s): grampa