Danny asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 1 month ago

Canon 50d shutter count?

Hello,

I just bought a used like new Canon 50d with a shutter count of 2,586.

Is this high for this camera?

Favorite Answer

Quite the opposite. It’s very low for a used camera. 

You described it as being “like new”. That’s largely because with that low a shutter count it is practically new.

Don’t get too hung up on shutter counts. Most of the rest of the camera body will be knackered or have significant faults long before the shutter module wears out.

• BriaR

No. It is exceptionally low! Reckon on shutter count a little like car mileage. That camera is at least 10yrs old. A 10yr old car with 2500 miles on the clock!!

I bought a 50D 18 months ago with a similar shutter count. It now has a shutter count of 20,000.

I also have a 40D with 98,000 shutter count,a 70D with 65,000, a 450D with 55,000 and all still going strong.

Your 50D is good for another 100,000 if you look after it.

• Frank

No, a shutter count of 2,586 is actually extremely low.  This becomes apparently clear once you consider that the shutter in the 50D has a life expectancy of 100,000 actuations.

• keerok

Low, very slightly used, might pass as brand new.

2500 would be a Very Low number for any camera.  

If it was nearing seven figures, there might be reason for concern.  

• Sky

I would say no.  I have the 60D, so only a step above the 50D, and I could snap that many pictures in a single weekend at a convention.  It's been through about a dozen conventions so far and snapped probably 20,000 images, and it's still working just fine.  So don't worry about that shutter count.  As long as the camera was well cared for and protected when not in use, it will continue to work well for you.