TT asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 2 months ago

Is there any way to get cheap/free medical aid in Texas?

On December 10th, 2019, I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. I do not have insurance as I babysit and get paid very little a week. I most likely do not qualify for Medicaid. I am able to get to parkland and plan to apply for their financial aid, but it will probably take months. Seeing as how MS is a progressive disease, I need something that would hopefully be quicker. 

• Laurie

You need to apply for disability if you are unable to work. If you are able to work, you need to get a better job. (THIS is why it is important we not lose the “pre-existing conditions” coverage of Obamacare.)

Texas does provide Medicaid for adults, IF the adults are elderly or disabled. Nearly every county has a clinic and/or hospital that provides sliding-scale cost medical care to low-income individuals. Here inBrazos county, one such program is called “Healthpoint”. Another tactic would be to move to a state that does provide Medicaid for adults (without being declared disabled).

Contact the MS society and ask for guidance. Your doctor should also be able to direct you.