George
Lv 4
George asked in HealthOther - Health · 4 weeks ago

DO you know anybody who had a stroke but didn't develop dementia and didn't become bed ridden?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Andy C
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, I do. He isn't bedridden anymore, but after 7.5 years of neural regeneration, he is starting to be able to walk barefoot for 10' or so on carpet.

When he was hospitalized, he was comatose for 23 days. He suffered every physical symptom of a stroke, yet when it came to the MRI, no lesions were found. It was determined that it was a possible TIA and the subsequent brain damage supported that theory.

After 2 years of physical therapy and 5 years years of self-imposed PT, he now can walk, talk and is no longer blind.

Source(s): It's me.
    • ...Show all comments
    • Andy C
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

For the 1st few years,  my working memory didn't work, so my body would forget that I was ascending the stairs AS I was ascending the stairs. 

My memory now is pretty good except for people's names.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

People have STROKES of all kinds all the time...and in MANY cases...do not even KNOW IT. Strokes - BLEEDING - happens all the time...and EACH TIME it is different and there is absolutely no way to know about ANY outcomes....EVER.

Strokes can KILL instantly...or you can recover completely.

• 4 weeks ago

Yes i do, in fact. He's in his 80's and still exercises every day and still rides his bicycle every day. He had a stroke months ago. He's doing really well, obviously

• 4 weeks ago

My father had 3 seperate strokes that I can recall. He had close to a full recovery from all three, with physiotherapy.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Yes many people here in the UK. A little weakness in an arm or leg but went on to live a normal life.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

There have been many cases.  Joe Biden, for example, has had two major strokes.  He is definitely pretty slow mentally now, but he's certainly not bedridden. 

• 4 weeks ago

Yes, of course. I know a woman who had a stroke and is now fully functional, about 20 years afterward, and living a full life. Still, stroke is one of the scariest things I can imagine- much worse than a heart attack. 

• 4 weeks ago

Yes. Bret Hart the WWE Hall of Famer.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.