Should I pursue college?

I’m a 20 year old male. I don’t want to sound like a victim, however my life in the past 2-2.5 years has been pretty rough. My father died when i was 17 which really did “something” to me. I just started to not care about anything. Had a pretty bad run in with police on a bad trip of LSD. Two felony arrests however i’ve received reduced convictions to the 3rd degree misdemeanor. So i have 2-3 misdemeanors from this one incident, hey way better than 2 felonies. Anyways after this came an extreme depression. Now came so many family problems from my dads death financially, literally left us nothing but newly discovered loans with my mothers name on them. Depression came harder than ever, and i didn’t graduate HS. 

Whatever, that’s in the past and i want to change my future. My plan is to get my GED and potentially pursue a Economics degree, i chose this because i’ve been learning how to day trade in the foreign exchange markets for over a year now and i’m REALLY fascinated by it. I was never great at math, but i do love day trading and the challenges is gives and how you develop as a person. I do want day trading to become a full time income for me eventually, but i’d also like to get a degree to prove to myself i deserve to have a good life. 

So my question really is, should i pursue college? I could do a lot with an economics degree paired with my knowledge of the markets. I know my past will make this more difficult, but i think it may be worth it. Any thoughts?

elijah a screwed up home is a sacko bricks  on the back for anyone esp when they are young,,get into a church group,a choir,, get off out N away from the dope,no more DUIs,,stay clean,  a couple kids on you tube,, the kempster kids,,mom dad and the girl & boy lost both within the same few months recently,,they had been a family that played some great bluegrass country music,,such losses hurt,, hurt a lot,,they went through a rough time,and are back ti making music,, stay out of the company of those whom you hung with during your 'troubles'

there may be one or 2 among them whom you ought to have listened to,,your judgement & other activities likely was warped y the drugs & carryin on,put out some feelers to decent types,,talk to a pastor,, stay away also from dope,summer will be a round in a few months,plane to be in a better place,also,,get classes,a class that challenges you,learn learn learn, pursue education ,in a trade or subject that interests you.

• Laurie

1 Get therapy. Many people lose a parent as a child, but do not react self-destructively.

2. Get your GED.

3. If you want to go to college, find a two-year degree at your community college that will result in the ability to be gainfully employed... for example, registered nursing. Do NOT go into debt to get a college degree.

4 consider joining the military, if your background allows it. All your needs will be met (housing, food, uniforms, work transportation, medical and dental and vision care), and you will receive job training and a steady paycheck. You will attain the best physical condition of your life, and when your enlistment is up, the GI Bill will PAY FOR college.

5 You are not responsible for your father’s debts, or debts in your mother’s name. SHE should handle that situation.

Your choice. You either get your butt in gear and make GOOD things happen in your life, or go down the tubes. Sure, you have a lot to overcome, but many people have far worse and successfully - and happily - dealt with it all. It's entirely up to you! Yes, you need a GED, then community college. If you do well, transfer into a university is possible despite your criminal record. It won't be easy. But either you get tough, get determined, and get to work - or get blown away like refuse. How badly do you want a good life? Then do it.

• Expat

Look, you need to talk with a guidance councilor. I’ve been a university professor for more than 20 years, and I’m going to shoot straight with you. Economics and day trading aren’t necessarily the match you think they may be. If you’re not interested in math or not very good at it, you’re going to find economics VERY difficult and not what you were hoping for. When I hear day trading, I’m mostly hearing, “I want to try and get rich quick.” You can read books on day trading yourself without the degree. Pursuing a degree is a good thing, and I’d suggest you start at a community college. You can take economics courses and see how it goes, but you can also try other things if it turns out you don’t like it. There’s also nothing at all wrong with trades; I don’t know any unemployed master plumbers, carpenters or welders. I have many friends with families and houses that are tradesmen, but you need to actually go to trade school, not just be a laborer who does grunt work on construction sites. Good luck!

Nope.  You should be in the Trades, Either Plumbing or Electric.

Make your money fast, with no useless excessive school debt.

You don't need to think about college at this point. Focus on getting your GED, then go from there.