Amy asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Can you sue your boss for being mentally abusive and making you work on Sunday ( a religious day)?

This lady screams curses at people, makes fun of them, and treats them worse than her dogs. She never makes any sense about what she says ever about anything. I told her I go to church every Sunday and she still schedules me to work on Sundays this last Sunday I went to church instead and she fired me. Isn’t that breaking the Civil Rights Act of 1964 for the Sunday part? She owns the company but it’s a government job. Couldn’t I at the very least get her in trouble by proving how she’s abusive through video and make it so she had to give up her license?  

• Bort

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume you're Catholic. Your behavior is typical of Catholics; bigotry, hypocricy, 'love thy neighbor, brother and sister'...you're a perfect Christian because you get yourself to a building to listen to a lecture and nice music every Sunday but you can have all of the hate and potty mouth your brothers and sisters and neighbor all you want the rest of the week because God forgives. 

*rme*

There needs to be financial or some kind of other legitimate loss in order to "sue" someone. There was no loss so you don't have any grounds to sue them for. 

Churches have mass and congregations more often than just Sunday mornings. You can choose to go during one of the many other times. 

As far as the abuse subject you can file a complaint with the department of labor but that's not going to shut the business down. She may get fined if it's found to be true that she's discriminating and harassing people. That's about all you can do about that. 

You do have the option of looking for and finding another job if this one is that miserable for you. Find one that allows you to do as you want on Sundays. 

Good luck

• Judith

You don't want to work Sundays then get yourself a job where no one ever works Sundays.  Otherwise if a place is open on Sundays you can expect to work it.  You work when your employer wants you to work; it isn't up to the employer to accommodate the employee.  No discrimination here.  There is no law protecting your right to attend religious services when you work for an employer who is open during that time.  Never has been; never will be.

Can you sue her for being "mentally" abusive?  Maybe but I doubt you'd find an attorney who will represent you; you have a losing case.

• Susie

Most churches have services other times. Wed nights, sat nights, Sunday nights.  if you accepted the job, you already knew you might have to work Sundays, didn’t you??  Why did you accept it if you wanted Sundays off?  So go get a job that is closed on Sundays or one where your regular day off is Sunday. 

• Bort

^Typical Christian that loves and lives for God and his word^ 
      bigot, hypocrite, catholic...same thing.