Where is modern-day Szentandrás, Moson, Hungary?

I m doing family history research and I have an ancestor that was baptized in 1886 in Szentandrás, Moson, Hungary. Is anybody familiar with this region and what became of the city and where it is today?

The record collection where this came from is the "Hungary, Catholic Church Records, 1636-1895" if that helps. I always heard from family that this ancestor was Austrian.

Thanks for any help in advance!

• Maxi

Moson was an administrative county (comitatus) of the Kingdom of Hungary in present-day eastern Austria and northwestern Hungary, on the right (south) side of the Danube river. Moson is also the name of a town, nowadays part of the city Mosonmagyaróvár, Hungary.

Potentially Szentandrás could be Sajószent andrás which is a village in Romania in Bistrița-Năsăud county

• Maxi
      3 weeks agoReport

Having done some more research " Szentandrás, Moson, Hungary, later called Mosonszentandrás, Hungary, now Sankt Andrä bei Frauenkirchen, Burgenland, Austria."

Searching the GNS database of foreign names at

http://geonames.nga.mil/namesgaz/

I find three modern places that have had that name:

1)

Sânandrei, Timiş, Romania at 45° 51' 11" N, 021° 10' 05" E

2)

Szentandráspuszta, Zala, Hungary at 46° 41' 52" N, 016° 32' 49" E

3)

Andráspuszta, Tolna, Hungary at 46° 44' 46" N, 018° 54' 40" E

Apparently the name Moson is no longer used as a district name in Hungary, but there are many places in Hungary that have "Moson" a part of their name -- too many to investigate individually.

When I use maps.google.com to look at 2) above, I see that it is 5 or 6 miles east of the modern Slovenian border.

Looking at 3), it is on the Danube river, about 50 miles south of Budapest.

1) Turns out to be only about 30 miles from the Hungarian border to the northwest.

None of the three look to be close to anything named Moson on the modern map, but that doesn't say anything about the many places that used to be called Moson.

I don't know if it helps, but "Szentandrás" is Hungarian for "Saint Andrew".  Maybe that indicates that the place was at least big enough to have a church.  "Puszta" seems to mean something like "prairie".

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

My suggestion for sorting this out is to go back to the church records and see if you can find the name(s) of any other place(s) in "Moson".  Then maybe you can use the same database as above to locate them and see if they are close to one of the three possible places called "Szentandrás".

If you find the GNS database interface intimidating (as I did at first) you may comment my answer here with any new information and I can take a stab at it.  (I get notified when comments are posted to my answers, so I will see it.)

Good luck with your research.

• Roger the Mole
      3 weeks agoReport

The alternate names which GNS lists for Sankt Andra am Zicksee, Austria, doesn't include anything like "Szentandrás", but that's not proof of anything.