Will they ever quit making game consoles?

I'm surprised they're making a new Xbox and Playstation because the PS4 and Xbox One are very powerful and have amazing graphics, so I didn't think there was any need to make sequels to them.

Will video game consoles ever get so powerful that making a new one would be pointless? Do you think there will be a PS6 and another gen Xbox after the Xbox Series X?

Favorite Answer

It's hard to tell if consoles will stop being made, but we may eventually see a technical singularity where consoles & PC's eventually become one.

While Nintendo has made a step towards this with the Switch (merging portable & home consoles into a hybrid console), Microsoft has gone the furthest down this path as they have made game engines that are unified for PC & XBox systems (First was Direct X, which was original for Windows BEFORE the "Direct X Box" [XBox] was released.  Then came XNA framework for XBox 360 & Windows XP - 7.  Currently it's UWP for XBox One & Windows 8/10) & the XBox X series will not have console exclusives, so they can immediately come out on Windows at the same time.

The console makers are also planning on extending the console life cycle from the typical 6-year market cycle to a 10-year market cycle (with some extended support a few years later).  However, the current generation seems to be running on a 7/8-year cycle (as the PS4 was released in 2013 & the PS5 is planned for release around Nov., 2020...  Microsoft appears to be following suit).

While it's hard to say how things will advance in the foreseeable future, I hope this sheds some light on the subject.

8K is useless and they've reached 4K already. 

We have 60fps, with 120fps on the next consoles. Useless to go any higher than that.

More memory? 

It's only been like almost 50 years since the first home console was first released. I was going to say "Until Oculus goes 4k", but sad to find out Facebook Technologies, whatever the heck that is, maybe the new Stazi? Owns Oculus now.

So Yeah, We will see many more Gens released.

Probably not for quite sometime. Technology keeps advancing and as long as it does, they will continue making new consoles and people will keep buying them as long as they make games that people are interested in. Myself included.

I mean, probably not until we get to the point that graphics and game performance literally can not get any better. Probably not any time soon I imagine.

Yes, I do think we’ll hit a point where it will be basically pointless to keep making new consoles. We’re not there yet, but we might be in 25 years or so. Or maybe not, maybe they’ll keep upgrading in some new way I haven’t thought of. Despite this, I’m 100% sure they’ll keep making new game consoles anyway, because that’s how they stay in business and keep making money. If you have millions of fans and tell them they have to buy a $400 machine to play the next game then most fans just will, and they know that. 

• game5781 month agoReport

Don't they lose money on consoles though?

i dont think so

There will always be advancements in technology, meaning that computers and consoles will continue to be upgraded.

I don't know who "they" are.

• Zack

Game console companies!!