I feel like my job will be ending soon. Will I qualify for unemployment if things don't work out with my new job?

I feel like my current job will be ending soon and I'm ready to take a new job before that happens. If something doesn't work out with the new job will I still qualify for unemployment even though I technically left the previous job before they officially let me go?

my other option is to not take a new job and just wait until I'm officially let go but I was hoping to find a new job before I lost my current one so that I would be ok financially.

I want to work in an area that I'm good at 

What state/province/country are you in ? Different jurisdictions have different laws and regulations.

• A.J.

"something doesn't work out with the new job" is vague.

Each US State has different rules, generally aimed at losing a job at no fault of your own, and ready and able and willing to work.

If you quit the first job because you think a layoff or closing is coming and take a new job, and then quit the new job, getting approved will be difficult.

If you quit the first job because you think a layoff or closing is coming and take a new job, and then get laid off by the new job, your employment at the first job should count towards benefits amount and eligibility.

If you quit the first job because you think a layoff or closing is coming and take a new job, and then get fired for performance by the new job, it's highly likely you get turned down for benefits, try an appeal, and a decision is possible in your favor.

It's certainly good to look for a new job and have everything in place.

It gets a bit difficult accepting a questionable job while quitting current employment even if you think a layoff is coming.

• Judy

depends on a lot of things, like why your job ends and how long you've worked recently

Maybe.  It varies on a state-by-state basis.  Your HR department should know.

• Howard

maybe if you've been working at that job for a year or maybe even six months