Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 3 weeks ago

What can you use as a substitute for milk in pasta? ?

I have some spiral pasta with broccoli and a cheddar cheese sauce. It needs 1/2 cup of milk but we’re out of milk and just got back from the store. What can I use instead of milk? 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

there isn't anything you really can use in place of milk. Can you borrow some from a neighbor?

• Login to reply the answers
  • Jerry
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

Do you have some other dairy product like yogurt or cottage cheese? Mix that with water for a milk substitute. Please consider keeping a box of plant based "milk" on hand for emergencies, something like soy milk, rice milk, almond milk. It doesn't need refrigeration until you open it and it can save the day. 

• 3 weeks ago

Use a 1/4 cup of water.

• 3 weeks ago

More butter.  Like and extra half stick.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Water     

• Susie
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I always keep a can or two of evap milk or powdered milk on hand for cooking AND natural emergencies. You can always water down cream if you have it.  Or you can try a dollop of sour cream, condensed cream soup,  or cream cheese.  Not sure how it would change the taste. 

• Nancy
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

Take a half-cup of water and put it in a small saucepan and bring to a slow boil. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and then slowly sprinkle in one tablespoon of flour so that it doesn't clump. Let it bubble for two minutes. Remove it from the heat and poor it back into the measuring cup until you have half a cup, should be most of it if not all of it. Add that mixture to the recipe. It won't be necessary to cool it down if all you're going to do is turn around and immediately heat what you're mixing it into up.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.