To those of you who've sold your digital cameras, what, besides needing the money, made you sell it?

I'm just curious why I see so many second hand digital (ideally but not necessarily solely full-frame mirrorless or DLSRs) cameras are on sale.

Is it that you've got no money to use them (travel costs, model/studio hire costs etc), or is it that you can't think of what to shoot?

Did you just buy it on a whim and then just found you didn't have the time to use it?

Could it be that you have not found a source of income from taking images with it?

Ultimately, what reason/s made you decide you no longer want or need your digital cameras?

Please elaborate on those questions (if possible) and also let us know which model camera/s you had and then sold.

Thanks!

Oh, just a heads-up, I am not referring to those of you whom decided to upgrade to a better camera or to get another one. 

I am more interested in those of you whom sold your camera because you had to or needed to (though not for financial reasons) due to circumstance. Sorry, I should have made that clear beforehand.

I replaced a DSLR because it just couldn't do what I needed it to do any more. It is still a fantastic daylight camera, video capabilities were far ahead of it's peers, but it just couldn't handle low-light/high ISO.

And I replaced it's predecessor due to lack of speed in several areas, not the least of which was focus.

So 3rd DSLR in 10 years or so, but I still have all 3, all 3 still work, and I do occasionally take number 2 out with a wide to short telephoto so i don't have to take the super telephoto off number 3.

Which means I haven't actually sold any of them, even though I should. More so since number 3 is a completely different system from the other 2 and the only things that carried over were things like tripods and manual flash gear (all I use).

I'll usually only do that when the Camera brand lets me down by changing the mount and I actually need new equipment anyway.

I never forgave Olympus for failing to make a proper autofocus film SLR or for not making a full frame DSLR.

• My distinct lack of funds issue aside, I was hoping Olympus would have made a full-frame digital body with their OM mount but they never did, instead they went the frankly s****y micro 4/3s route. Such a pity. That said, my question remains unanswered for the most part, lol.

I sold my point and shoot camera because I bought a DSLR and was also made redundant once I acquired a smartphone with a half decent camera.

• qrk

How about buying a new body. Thus, the old body isn't needed any more and won't be used as a backup body. Selling it clears out space for the new.

Personally, I like having two camera bodies, one primary, the other as a secondary.

• Frank

The new gear (camera or lens) does something that allows me to just plainly get the shot or at least get the shot in a better way not possible with my old gear.