Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 3 weeks ago

Why do charter heli pilots feel pressured to take off in unsafe conditions?

I mean why couldn’t the pilot(s) be like sorry Kobe you are not gonna make that game it is not safe to take off in this fog in these hills with a load.  Instead he let the money cloud his judgement.  The let’s get in and go mentality is just plain wrong in a helicopter.  You really got to pay attention to weather in helicopters especially if they are not really ifr equipped and don’t have a TA system.  Gosh I wanted to be a helicopter pilot, but this dumbass had to ruin it for me.  I’ll stick to fixed wing...Helis are too dangerous.

• bo
    Favorite Answer

this pilot has probably flown in this weather several times if not hundreds of times and never had a problem and can read instruments that would guide him in bad weather. my guess from what I'm hearing is the helicopter had mechanical issues. time will tell when the report comes out on what happened  

• 3 weeks agoReport

Hoping that was the case, I am pretty sure it was a visibility problem as most cases usually are.  But we’ll know in a year.

Money pressures most people.

Reading NTSB reports for fixed wing accidents, the cause you will see more than any other, "Continued VFR flight into instrument meteorological conditions, contact with terrain obscured by cloud."

A helicopter pilot told me that fixed wings are for people who want to fly but are afraid to try

It seems you did the investigation already.  Really good of you but I see only firefighters in the pictures from the accident.

You might want to apply to the NTSB.  So they can can have a laugh everyday.

• Erik

I live about 20 miles from the crash, it's a little overcast but that's about it.  You don't know what actually happened.

And as far as "sticking to fixed wing", those have crashed too.

• 3 weeks agoReport

I never claimed I did, just suspected. Fix wing crash, but at least people walk away from most accidents compared to helis.

From the sounds of the news report, people heard the engine sputtering before it went down. Potentially a mechanical failure instead of weather-related, but in that case someone's got something to answer for

• Bleep3 weeks agoReport

True, it's not always predictable, but sadly when this stuff happens someone always gets blamed, whether right or wrong

Who says he let the money cloud his judgement? That is simply YOUR assumption. If you're afraid to fly helicopters, then don't. Stop saying they are dangerous or that you were so weak you let a crash change your mind. I've spent more than 300 hours in helicopters and have no qualms about flying. I figure if we go down, the pilot has the same chance of survival as the rest of us.

• 3 weeks agoReport

Just a side note.  I am not trying to equate life to life I am just saying that client itineraries can cloud pilot judgement as to whether or not to risk it.  They get a sense of urgency in a dangerous scenario leaving margin for error, but in this case it sounds like a maintenance log book error.