Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCorporations · 2 months ago

What is the relationship between Logistics Department and Supply Chain Department?

I am starting a supply chain class and these terms seem very similar to me, can someone help elaborate on where I can find an answer to a question like this?

Logistics would oversee scheduling and tracking of shipments and deliveries.  Supply Chain Department would control and reorder inventory (stock on hand of whatever product is sold, or the ingredients required) for the production of their product.

From what I know, logistics are more focused on movements, so planning where and when things will be taken and then doing it, regardless of the cargo. It's non-specific and is just general transport for stuff. They'll most likely have a broader variant of vehicles at their disposal but also more generic.

Supply chain is more specific to certain cargo, they may transport it to a given destination or between warehouses etc, but their focus is on their material, receiving it and delivering it to where it needs to go. They may have fewer vehicles than a logistics department but those vehicles will be much better suited to dealing with their specific cargo, as they will likely only deal with a handful of different things as opposed to anything really.

You might have to do a bit of googling to try and figure it out and confirm, don't take my word fully for it, but I think that's the basics.

They're the same thing, just different people want to look smarter than they really are or will ever be. It's like a "trucking" company as opposed to a "transportation" company.

Source(s): 35+ years in "logistics" - truck driver.