What is the difference between Tribalism and Nationalism?

Both ideologies seem focused on loving your in-group and hating your out-group. The only real difference is in scale and the definition of the groups.

• not
    Favorite Answer

In both situations hating the out-group is an option. An option not often afforded to the individual. The tribe expects you to adopt their hate or they hate you. Plenty of people can love their in-group without the hate. The haters just scream louder. 

Scale is different but it's still the same.

• RP

The tribalism reflects adherence to the nature of the tribe whereas nationalism reflects adherence to the nature of a nation or country.

• Zirp

nationalism is two things

There's a difference between "I want my native language to have its own territory" and "I want everybody (in this country) to speak my language and follow my culture and all other languages and cultures should be eradicated". The latter is more properly called *chauvinism*