How to properly hold a guitar pick ?

Whenever I strum up and down my middle finger knuckle and index hit the strings...how do I hold a pick correctly? 

hold it with your thumb and index finger, as if you were grabbing a pinch of salt. If you were to hold your thumb out vertical in front of you, the tip should be pointing straight down. You don't want to hold the pick to tight, and not to lose  that the tip starts pointing in different directions while holding it. also when picking, try to pick with just the very tip of the pick, if you use more than the tip it becomes more difficult to transition strings when you are playing faster, imagine how much unnecessary time goes into sticking the pick into to far and having to pull it out after each note

• Danny

In trying to reproduce what you're describing, I have to like glomp onto the pick like I want to squeeze it to death... Try to lighten way up, even sticking all but your thumb and index up and away. Kinda like the Hollywood stereotype of holding onto a small tea cup handle. 

This is a perfect question to ask your guitar teacher. If you don't have one, I urge you to get one. 

Oh yes, I forgot to add: don't forget to abandon your question just like everybody else does.

Source(s): Playing guitar for 57 years
  • Carson

....or adapt and make.it part of your playing style.

Don't use the pointed end, but one of the round edges.

• Hernando
      1 month agoReport

Please don't give advice when you don't know what you're talking about. 

You hold the pick between the first digit of the thumb and the second digit of the forefinger. And get a bigger pick.

• Hernando
      1 month agoReport