Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 2 months ago

Is this roofing contract valid ?

I was very naive and a contractor showed me this contract to sign in order for the insurance adjuster to ‘talk’ to him. The only thing that roofer did was showing up in person while the adjuster was at my home. He did not help with the claim. He basically talked about random stuff with the insurance adjuster, not regarding my damages. 

I felt pressured to sign because I thought the adjuster needed it to complete his findings.

My claim was approved by my insurance but I’m trying to go with a roofer.

Note: I did not date the ‘contract’.

He did his job - what you claimed you signed for him to do, and your insurance has agreed to cover it, so what's your problem?

Yeah, I think the contract is valid.  There is a 3 day rule where you can void any contract made at your home, if you do so within 3 days of the contract being signed. So, if you signed this contract within the last 3 days then you can cancel it on those grounds.  Otherwise the contract does seem valid.

Also, why do you want to change roofers.  This one seems to know what they are doing and the insurance company will pay them directly so even if the 2nd roofer were cheaper, it isn't like you are going to make any money by using someone else (unless the 2nd roofer were a buddy who was going to kick back some of the insurance money to you - this is illegal but very difficult to prove and happens a bit).

• Casey Y

Then why didnt you call them?  Some random contractor shows up at your house and you sign their contract...seriously???

Did you read it?  Of course it's binding.  It states 'this is a binding agreement'.  The first clause you had to initial states "the exclusive right to do the repairs ...".  The only out is if the insurance company doesn't agree to the amount the company thinks it will cost.

When you get a high pressure to sign something that doesn't look right (this agreement does not state "this gives company xxx permission to talk to insurance company xxxx) you refuse to sign and walk away.

Does your signature without a date invalidate the contract?  I doubt it.