I want to be governor, I can if I am a foreigner?
I'm French and I want to be governor of Louisiana, can I?
- NancyLv 64 weeks agoFavorite Answer
The requirements for being a state governor vary by state based on that state's constitution. For Louisiana, according to the Louisiana Constitution (Article IV, Section 2), a candidate for governor by inauguration is required to:
* have attained the age of 25 years
* be an elector
* have been a citizen of the United States for at least the preceding 5 years
* have been a citizen of Louisiana for at least the preceding five years
* hold no other public office
This means that you can become governor of Louisiana, but you will first have to become a US citizen and a Louisiana citizen for five consecutive years.
- 4 weeks ago
If you're a US citizen, yes.
- StephenWeinsteinLv 74 weeks ago
You'd have to become a U.S. citizen first, but it can be done. Arnold Schwarzenegger was a foreigner (Austrian, I think) and eventually became Governor of California.
- ibu guruLv 74 weeks ago
Of course not - no foreigners in elective offices.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- FoofaLv 74 weeks ago
Once you've obtained US citizenship and state residency for Louisiana you can run for office there.
- JeffreyLv 74 weeks ago
No, you have to be a US citizen and resident of the state.
- RickLv 64 weeks ago
Si !!!! ..................................................
- Anonymous4 weeks ago
Ask your mom and dad first