What classes should I take in high school?

I’m an incoming freshman and I’m thinking of graduating a year early. One of my friends sister was able to graduate with honors her junior year and I kinda want to do that. I’m not really sure how to get all four years of English, history, and science in 3 years. Would I take classes online or during the summer? I’m in 8th grade now and take algebra one and French 2 as my high school courses. We are starting scheduling soon and I want to take biology next year and skip research earth science, is that a good idea? Do I need to take earth science to graduate? Open to any ideas and suggestions!

Favorite Answer

during the summer works at some high schools. online also works at some. suggest you ask the guidance people when you go to register for classes, or your friend's sister [what did she do to make this work].

example: in my HS, journalism, speech, and drama classes all counted as English -- so you could take one of those during sophomore year, as well as the regular English class, to get your four in.

You and your parents need to meet with a guidance counselor at the high school and or do some research online.  You need to understand the exact high school graduation requirements for your district and state including the number of credits, specific required courses, and the general "four year of English" type of thing. You can't plot your course without knowing this.

Students who graduate early from high school often do a combination of things that include:

1. Take more classes per semester than the average student.

2. Take classes online, as independent study, and over the summers.

3. Minimize their electives and try to use classes that might count "double" for requirements.

I suggest you talk to your guidance counselor or someone that you know that has done this before such as your friend's sister. School requirements vary from school to school. So asking on Yahoo Answers might not be a good idea since all of us comes from different schools that might have different requirements. 

All I know is that there might be programs for high school students to take classes at college or something similar in your area. 

It's going to all depend on what you enter high school with and what your state requires for graduation... heck, graduation requirements can vary from school to school in the same county. You'll be entering high school with credits already it sounds like, which helps you. A school guidance counselor who knows the school itself will be better able to help you plan classes for graduating early. Other options include an online public school option where you can work at your own pace rather than being required to be in classes for a certain amount of time.

Your guidance counselor is the only one that can answer this.

• drip

Why graduate early???? Why would you want to be the youngest kid in a university dorm or start out in the working world sooner than you need to? There is no advantage to this. 

You have to sit down with your high school counselor and plan out all classes for the next three years or this won’t happen. Even if you take all four years it is a good idea to have a base plan for classes for all four years. 

You should not need four years of science or history classes. Most HS graduation requirements  and university requirements are 4 yrs English , 3 math, 3 sciences , 2 history and 2/3 of a foreign languages. What you took in 8 th grade may not count.  My daughter too HS algebra 1 in 8th grade and went to algebra 2 once in HS, but still need three years of math in HS for universities applications.