Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 3 weeks ago

What do women mean when they say that a man is not ''marriage material''?

What's marriage material?

Women want these main things and qualities:

1 stability

2 to be cared for 

3 listened to (communication)

4 TRUST 

I don’t know you but that’s what I consider when looking for someone 

I could say more but like I said I don’t know you or your situation best of luck

A good provider who doesn't cheat.  I know it's a man's nature to be with many women but we can't tolerate it.

A guy who will get up go to work and provide for his family, a guy who will be home at night with his family and not be wanting to hang out with his buddies drinking, a man who is a good lover and only wants sex when his wife does. A guy who will protect his family. 

Not marriage material has many different meanings.  He has not matured enough to be capable of taking care of a family.  He could have personality traits that make him not a good partner.  Anger issues.  Poor impulse control.  Infidelity issues.  Selfish.  Will always side with his mother or other family members over his partner.  

It's code for saying that either his penis or his wallet isn't big enough.

I would think it would be different, for each woman. As it would be different for men.  Sure most would be against a man/woman  who cheats, does drugs, drinks too much. But someone who does not want kids, when you wants them.  Someone who you do not think will be there when times are tough.  Someone who is not a dog person.  I met a woman who was smart, beautiful, even seemed to be caring, but had an outside dog.  A dog that stayed out side all day, and only came in at night or when it was too hot or too cold, even when she was home all day.  She fed him, but no interaction. I ran from her. Someone who might live too high outside of their means.  Sure I had a few setbacks, at different times in my life, but I usually did not have credit card debt, and when I did for a special purchase, like a major car repair, Christmas, or a special vacation trip.  I usually paid it off in 6 mos.  I would bother me if someone had a regular balance of $3,000, $5,000, or more.  on their credit card.  So not being marriage material means, what ever you feel is important, in character,  personality or needs, are lacking.  Something you really need in a person you are going to spend the rest of your life with for the next 30+ years.  

It means he is financially and socially higher on the pecking order than her, a.k.a. it satisfies her inclination towards hypergamy.

It also means when she is bored of him and wants to take him to the cleaners, due to him making more money HE has to pay alimony and most likely child support.

Real question. What makes women marriage material? trick question, the amount of women who are marriage material is in so small of supply that going into the dating market as a man isn't even worth it, period.

• Foofa

For most this would mean a guy who's ready for monogamy, has his career on track and his life in order and most importantly WANTS to get married. NOT "marriage material" would be a guy who cheats or is a hot mess in terms of life direction and responsibility.

WORKS both ways,,a hot looking supermodel-type that can't boil water without burning it or as much as count to Ten without using her fingers might be a fun date but hardly worth taking all that seriously.

While on the other hand, hot looking hansom Men may be good for a few kicks & giggles but unless one has something going on Upstairs as well, then odds are a sensible woman wouldn't consider him much of a keeper. 

It means there are things about him which raises red flags and she wouldn't be able to accept him as a partner.

I know a lot of men who i feel that way about (well i feel that way about most men)