Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsEngagements & Weddings · 4 weeks ago

Wedding on a $2000 budget?

Possible? Impossible? Hard?

Honestly it's possible but you are probably going to need to sacrifice a lot. You probably won't be able to afford a good photographer ( that's usually the price of a photographer) meaning you won't have any photos to keep of the most important day of your life. You're decor is probably going to be extremely minimal so stick to something more rustic. Makeup artist alone are about $300 dollars for an hour or two so either only hire one for yourself and get the bridesmaid to do their own makeup or just have everyone come dressed.... You could ask friends and cousins to do it too... Food is expensive too, so it's best to stick with barbecues types of food and more of a self serve service.... It can be really nice if you have a backyard, or if someone you know owns a farm or if you tried it in a smaller venue. I know a couple that did it that way and it looked really nice but the family basically just came together and did all of it and they didn't hire anyone from outside. 

Very possible.  You can do it for a lot less if you forego the extravagances so many people throw into a wedding.

You absolutely and positively can do this. You can throw a nice party for $2,000.

Have the wedding reception take place after lunch and before dinner, therefore you can have a cocktail party where you serve substantial hors d'oeuvres.

You need not order a chair for every body or tables for all to sit at. Because if you have a cocktail party atmosphere, people will mingle and the party will not be stagnant. Especially if you put the refreshments at one end of the reception and food at the other end. This way people will criss cross about, which makes for a lovely Gathering.

There are so many different ways to save money. If you do not want to purchase paper goods, renting glassware and appetizer plates with appetizer Forks is not that expensive. Because people will be standing and eating appetizers, there's no need for dinner plates and knives.

You can rent or borrow a few tables for those who have to sit. Or perhaps rent a few high top tables for people to set their drinks upon.

Costco, Sam's Club and BJ Wholesale stores have a fabulous selection of Frozen hors d'oeuvres. It would be ultra easy to hire some high school girls 2 load and monitor the oven and walk around with trays serving people or placing a tray on an appetizer table. You could create a large platter with cheese crackers, olives, pickles, grapes and fruit. There are platters that you can have made up at any Deli and there are plenty of restaurants who have a catering menu with fabulous selections that are perfect for large gatherings or even small ones. Liquor stores will give you discount if you buy a case of wine at a time. You need not have a full bar if you don't want to.

My sister and I planned party with 85 guess, doing everything I just mentioned. We spent a total of $1,500, including a quart of paint for her front door.

my wife and I did it for $150.00 

• sarah

It may be a little difficult, but I know people who have had weddings for that amount that were very nice. Your biggest issue is going to be the extreme limitations on possible venues -- you will most likely have to stick with a church or pavilion area in a public park or something along those lines, since they're going to be the cheapest option.Honestly, had I not opted for a venue that was $2,200, my own wedding would have been around $2,000. I got my dress on sale (it was regular $900, I got it for a little under $500 because David's Bridal was having an awesome sale), bought decorations (the venue had a lot that I was allowed to use, so that helped) from Hobby Lobby (wedding stuff is half-price every other week), and had a family member do the cooking (all I had to do was buy the food -- hello, Sam's Club, lol).

• Kelly

My brother and his wife had a small church wedding with just immediate family and a few close friends (around 50 people still) and then had dinner at a local restaurant which they paid for everyone.  

Everything cost them about $2000.

Yes, that's easily possible.  Go to a local courthouse, and get married by a justice of the peace.  Invite whomever you want to watch the ceremony, and then take them to a nice meal afterwards.  You'll have $1,000 leftover.

it's possible. because 2000$ is a minimum budget. many poor people wedding less then 2000$. so I think it's of course possible.

Yes, potluck wedding. For everything! Not just food.

• BeatriceBatten
      3 weeks agoReport

It’s still rude to host a party and say “ps please cater it for me.” If you can’t afford to properly host a party then guess what, don’t throw one. 

Possible - you'll just have to compromise on things.