promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

EU citizen looking for work in UK (2020)?

So I've been reading articles, talked with my friend who's already there few years now. Will I be able to look for a job there? Some tell me that the country will become like USA requiring visa and you can work for a few months only. Relatives say that you can not anymore... I'm pretty confused.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Some answers here are wrong, it isn't too late. There is an 11 month transition period and MPs are not voting on what happens to immigrants until December, so the situation remains the same for you for now.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

You can forget that now. You're way too late to have started working in UK, AND have obtained settled status in UK prior to 31 January 2020. 

IF you want to work in UK, you must fulfill all required qualifications for employment in an occupation on UK's shortage list. Then you have to find an open position with an authorized UK employer, and compete with applicants from around the world to land that job. Then your employer can apply for your temporary employment visa. You will compete on the same playing field as people from any other country - no special privileges.

• Ding Dong
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

No, MPs are not voting on the matter until December, until at least then the situation is the same.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

As if the USA is the only nation on Earth that requires foreign workers to have a valid visa. Kinda sick of being pointed to as this cruel, unwieldy place when in fact the US has some of the laxest immigration laws in the world.

• Lisa A
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Have you been living under a rock? 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

As of 31st January, the UK will have left the EU; we still have no particular clarity on what exactly that means, or how long freedom of movement from the EU is open for

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The UK leaves the EU on 31 Jan... for those EU citizens already in the UK they need to register and be of settled status to be able to remain.

The laws states "EU citizens must be lawfully residing in the host state on the date of the UK's withdrawal, in accordance with EU law on free movement of EU citizens."...........and you are not going to be able to do that in 5 days

Lv 7
    2 months ago

The rules are not yet defined for NEW arrivals, when Brexit comes into operation at the end of this year. Most current EU nationals living here can apply to stay. 

https://www.gov.uk/transition

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.