Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 2 months ago

Is it okay to use a blender to mix baby formula with?

My baby needs a few extra scoops of formula in his bottle because the doctor wants him to gain more weight. I always worry that I’m not shaking the bottle enough to get all the chunks of formula out, so I I’ve been using a blender to mix it with. Is that okay?

• GB

I have changed my original answer after re-reading your question.  Are you really saying your doctor said you should INCREASE the strength of the formula by adding extra to the bottle?  This would make your baby ill!   'A few extra scoops!' No wonder  it won't mix ! I am surprised your baby can manage such a thick mixture. 

I'd get a second opinion before I would overmix formula.

Did the doctor actually recommend over-mixing formula?  Why is he/she concerned about the weight?  Is your son dropping in percentile?  Because that should result in a specialist referral, not mixing formula against recommendations.   I would be VERY concerned about a doctor who suggested that for a child failing to thrive rather than looking into the reason why he's dropping in percentile. 

• Master Shake

exactly what I was thinking, hence my answer

• k w

hope the baby did get mothers milk, the first few days, they need the hormones...goat milk, coconut milk......a blender seems weird but have no known objection to it.....no processed cow milk !

• Sal*UK

Of course as long as you wash it in boiling water.

There are probably hidden bacteria in your blender - that is why baby bottles come apart in five pieces instead of two pieces. If you blend a little water with a few drops of liquid soap after you use it and then rinse, it should be OK.

if the doctor really told you to do it then its okay but if he didnt you should not be adding extra formula. Yes using a blender is fine as long as you let it sit for a while afterward to let all the bubbles come to the surface and pop otherwise the kid will get BAD gas. And obviously you should always wash the blender immediately after with soap and boiling it would not be a bad idea before each use