Do people realize you don't need to be a feminist to support gender equality?

Feminism is a advocacy and the dictionary makes it clear, it is women's rights movement that is suppose to only help women and not men. If you want to be a feminist then that's your bushiness and there's nothing wrong with that but do not shame other for not joining your feminist movement.

What most people get wrong is that if someone supports gender equality that automatically makes them a "feminist" which is WRONG by definition cause the dictionary explains that feminism is an 'advocacy' and a 'women's movement'

if i don't support that movement that means i am not a feminist, blaming someone for not supporting a movement just proves that you are a extremist, i don't feel the need to justify and explain why i don't want to be part of the feminist movement because i don't have to and people don't have to justify why they are not part of the men's rights movement so why should i justify why i am not a feminist?.

Feminism is a movement that aims for equality with their own idea of equality.

Definition of feminism: the 'advocacy' of 'women's rights' on the ground of the equality of the sexes.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

This is a complex question, "Feminism is a movement that aims for equality with their own idea of equality." This is very true.

"the 'advocacy' of 'women's rights' on the ground of the equality of the sexes." It is true that Oxford defines it as this, but it is not true that it's an accurate definition.

Feminism is analogous to LGBT, With LGBT you have different groups with different wants fighting together to achieve different goals. Not all people in the LGBT community agree with the goals of others... so many people under the umbrella of Feminism support different things.

• Still not a fan of feminism, i dislike the movement cause many of them are extremists however if people choose feminism then i won't question their choice but i don't like it if anyone tell me i should be a feminist, feminism is not me and not who i am.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

"it is women's rights movement that is suppose to only help women and not men."

Not true. That is what conservative want people to believe so they won't support equality. A much better definition of feminism is this one:

Feminism is about equal opportunities for all. That nobody should be prevented from doing anything they want because of their gender OR conversely forced to do something because of their gender. This benefits both women and men.

EDIT: Typical conservative. You've found one definition to your liking and you assume it's right and there can be no others. You do this because you have an agenda, that is to counter feminism despite the fact it has also benefitted men. You do this because you wish to oppress and control women. And nobody is "forcing" you to do anything. You use that LIE as an excuse to roll back all the positive changes that have happened because of feminism. Stop try to control the lives of other people.

• ...Show all comments
    • I guess you should also make your own definition of other words ROFL.
      Stating the true definition of feminism does not make me have an agenda. If anything you are the one with the agenda cause you changed the definition to fit to your liking. You hide under anon cause you know your answer is dumb

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.