Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 3 weeks ago

What right do men have to decide if a woman can or can't get a tubal ligation?

My friend is stressed because no doctor will approve a tubal ligation for her. She is in her early 20's and %100 set on never having kids. Every doctor she's seen has said she will change her mind one day. They are all men. What gives them the right to make that decision for her? Do you agree with their decision?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Doctors know from experience how many by percentage of women want to have 'one more shot' at a baby after they are in their 30s, so they are reluctant to do tubal ligations.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Absolutely no right at all. Imagine if women tried to dictate to men if they were allowed to get vasectomies ??   lol

• 3 weeks ago

Isn't there any female doctors who could do that?

• 3 weeks ago

There Are no human right to get unnecessary operations on a whim. doctors treat ilneseses, if your friend doesnt want kids she shouldnt have unprotected sex. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

I think the doctors are respecting her freedom: her future self. They don't want to do something now that will (or could) go against her decisions later.

• sian
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

If you're so concerned talk to a female doctor

• 3 weeks ago

She will find even less sympathy from a female Dr.

Statistically young women often DO change their mind when they get financially stable or into a serious relationship. It doesnt always happen, but it happens often enough that Drs have a code of ethics to use when deciding is a person is a candidate for an ELECTIVE surgery or not.

She has other birth control options.

• kelvin
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

they do have woman doctors and why doesn't she see one of them and she won't do one either unless she has some type of underlying medical problem

• alan P
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I think if a man in his early 20s who had no children asked for a vasectomy then that would be rejected as well.  An hormonal implant is at least as effective has having tubal ligation

• 3 weeks ago

The doctors are probably basing their recommendation on past experience. Frankly I think they are right. Someone in their early 20s is not mature enough to make such a life-changing decision. 

If she feels it is a sex bias, she should go to a female doctor for another opinion.  There are many effective and less permanent methods of birth control. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.