are pt cruiser with the gt turbo reliable?

i bought a 2006 chrysler pt cruiser gt turbo with 54k miles automatic paid $700 for it are they reliable mechanically long term?

Sounds like you got a bargain. But the gas mileage is lousy. 

chrysler products are not known to be...i have owned two in my life,  my 1st and my last one

• F

In one word , NO. Even if it was ultra reliable, can you deal with the ridicule?

Not reliable. They are however different

PT Cruisers almost always make the list of used cars to avoid. I understand they are on the Neon platform, and Neons are junk, so it's a gamble I wouldn't take. On the other hand, most anything that runs, drives, and stops safely is worth 700.

My niece drives one of those (don't think it's a turbo) but she's has it a long time without many problems, just normal maintenance.  Used cars are always a crap shoot.  

• lj1

"PT Cruiser" and "reliable" don't belong in the same sentence. The turbocharged ones are even worse than the naturally-aspirated ones. Even in its heyday, the PT Cruiser had horrendous resale value. You could get a 2 or 3 year old, low mileage PT for under 8 grand. 

That said, you got yourself a $700 car with low mileage. If it runs and drives okay, drive it until it dies. Don't put any money into it other than the basic stuff (oil changes, tires, etc). If you or someone in your family is good at working on cars, you might get a few good years out of it. 

The PT Cruiser was one of the worst cars ever made, you have bought a money pit. Sell it and get a Toyota or Honda.

• Jackolantern

I would have paid more for the Toyota or Honda just to know that I have a more reliable car than any PT Cruiser! And I retired from a Chrysler dealership after working on them for 22 years!

Brand new, even without the added complication of turbocharging, they had an appalling reputation for reliability.

But it’s now a $700 14 year old used car. If it’s now in good condition and has been correctly maintained it’s not likely to be any worse than most other 14 year old cars currently offered for sale. And if it does go so badly wrong that expensive repairs are needed then it was only a $700 car: financing a new car for just a couple of months could easily exceed that.

So if you checked the car properly before purchase then just enjoy driving your bargain beater, and if you intend to keep it as long as possible keep up with the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule.

• Dennis D4 months agoReport

Thanks for answer car does run fine but does have some quarter panel damage from a accident that why it was cheap yep just drive it as a beater.

You bought a car with one of the WORST reliability record.  Good luck.  You will need it.