where cars better built in the 90s and more reliable then let say 2015 and newer cars now?

• zipper

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Just better metal in the bodies!

they are better now ..and more reliable ..very few cars rust these days ..and no manufacturer gave a 7 year warranty ..like they do today ..strange fact ..in uk a car is tested after 3 years for roadworthiness ..then every twelve months ...after 3 years more than a third fail test ..main culprit is headlights on wrong settings ..and worn wiper blades !

• Bort

"Where" cars were built: They were built in many different locations all over the world. 

Whether 90s cars are more reliable than newer cars 2015 and newer can be argued. Whether they're safer or not can also be argued. 

I personally think older cars without all of the driving assistance are a lot safer because they require the driver to pay attention to what they're doing. These newer cars with all of the driving assistance electronics are making being on the road for everyone more dangerous because those features enable people that can't drive safely to think they can drive. They also enable people that actually can drive pay less attention because people will and do depend on those assistive features and don't pay as much attention to things they should 'because the car will alert me'. So they're more relaxed which creates boredom so instead of paying attention to the road, since the car is doing that for them, they're playing on their cell phone or messing with the stereo, doing their makeup or checking their hair and teeth in the mirrors (instead of watching traffic around them with the mirrors)...

I'm not laughing. It's not funny. People who do those things end up killing people including them selves because they were careless and doing those things instead of what they were supposed to be doing: paying attention. 

I don't think I'll ever buy a vehicle newer than 2012 for that reason. I'd rather keep my good driving skills than fall in to being too comfortable behind the wheel of something that can cause death and depend or count on computers that can screw up to drive the car for me. I'll drive my car. I don't want a computer doing it for me. A computer can malfunction or stop working. 

• Jay P

WERE, not "where".

Electronics were already widely used on 90's vehicles ( especially towards the end of the decade ) but they were still easier to work on by the average owner/shade-tree mechanic compared to today's vehicles.

The biggest difference in my opinion are the advancement of electronics not just within the engine bay but throughout the entire vehicle.  Sure, 90's vehicles had features such as ABS and traction control but many of today's vehicles have some sort of semi-autonomous driving features, radar, cameras, etc.  that was unheard of 20 to 30 years ago.

Those electronics can be more troublesome on some vehicles and definitely harder for the average person to diagnose/repair.  So whether 20-30 year old vehicles were better built at that time can be argued either way but what is true today is modern vehicles are far more complex.

A lot of people & mechanic prefer older cars as they have less new tech but I'm not sure they were more reliable then or now.

A 25 year old car is never going to be as reliable as a newer car.  

• Barry

On average cars become more reliable over time as manufacturers identify weaknesses. An entirely new model of car can catch them out of course until they have acted on reliability issues.