Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 4 weeks ago

is Nicotine (in any way) healthy for the human body? why, how ? is it mainly the tar in cigarettes that is bad, but the nicotine is good?

Update:

I heard/ or read that doctors and hospitals used to prescribe or recommend smoking cigarettes to their patients?  when and why? what they thought of the nicotine and how it was healthy ? and how long this lasted? I heard that doctors and hospitals were even prescribing cigarettes for patients in the early 1900s ? is that true? where and why?

Update 2:

what benefits have been proven about nicotine? and how cigarettes of today differ form the tobacco that  American Indians would smoke ? why smoking tobacco was so popular after Europeans learned of tobacco from Indians?

Update 3:

**Also, I noticed that my hair started thinning/balding when i stopped smoking cigarettes (talking about within a few weeks after stopping i noticed it, why maybe?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

There are no indications that nicotine is beneficial.

Serious doctors haven't prescribed it in decades, although cigarettes containing cannabis did once give some relief to astma-sufferers.

"how cigarettes of today differ form the tobacco that  American Indians would smoke ?"

They smoked just the plant. Tobacco-products sold in shops today contain dozens of (secret) ingredients intended to improve the taste, reduce coughing and make the tobacco more addictive

• Login to reply the answers
  • Retief
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

Nicotine is a poison, it is extremely toxic.

In small doses it can cause apparently-pleasant effects - but it is extremely addictive.

Early uses as a "medicine" cannot be trusted - doctors also use to gives such as Arsenic, they were ignorant of harmful effects.

The commonest beneficial use is as an insecticide poison - it's used to fumigate such as greenhouses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine_poisoning

https://natoxaq.ku.dk/toxin-of-the-week/nicotine/

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.