Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 3 weeks ago

did doctors and hospitals actually use to recommend smoking cigarettes to patients up until the early 1900s? why? and where?

what they thought of the nicotine and how it was healthy ? and how long this lasted? I heard that doctors and hospitals were even prescribing cigarettes for patients in the early 1900s ? is that true? where and why?

You know what's scarier than that? That in a hundred years, everything doctors are doing to us know will be looked back on as incompetent and horrifying by people who know better. Funny how that works.

Smoking was suggested as an appetite suppressant and to quell nausea. My grandmother once mentioned that she was told to smoke to deal with morning sickness when she was pregnant with my father in 1919. She smoked all her life after getting hooked. Lived to be 97.

• Lv 5
      3 weeks agoReport

An appetite suppressent for what? obesity?

Remember in the early 1900s medicine was pretty crude. They did not use much science in what they recommended. Quite often they would tell the patients what they wanted to hear rather than what was good for them.