Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

Did everyone overreact about this?

So, yesterday my moms dog threw up 3 piles of dark brown sludge with some kibble in it. My brother, his gf, and a friend were over. The dog three up 3 more times. My first thought was to wait until tommarrow, and if he was still unwell then take him to the vet. My bros gf, and friend convinced me to take him for an emergency trip to the vet. They are having him take some pills. I dont know. I worry a lot about animals, but I feel that was a but over the top, considering the vets closed in another 20 minutes.

Do you go to the doctor EVERY time you throw up? Of course not, you often think you ate something bad. Same with dogs, if they throw up, take up their food, make sure they have plenty of water and wait until tomorrow.

I don't know if they did or not but you didn't say what the diagnosis was or what the medication was for. It could have been a real emergency but not knowing the diagnosis or what the meds were for.

What was the diagnosis? What meds did they put the dog on? Was it a life or death matter? Did the trip to the Emergency Vet save the dogs life? oR was it something that could have waited til Monday? You be the judge.

• Nicholas4 weeks agoReport

They think the dogs fine. They have him a nausea shot. Some nausea pills. And some fortify to put in his food. Hes acting normal currently.

This was YOUR MOM'S dogs - NOT yours; so since the dog was either in your care (single) or all of your care (plural) it is BEST to be SAFE - rather than sorry.  Had the dog eaten something toxic and then DIED due to lack of care - where would you be now (and how would you feel)?

Although copious and continual vomiting can cause dehydration, if this is a one-off I'd withhold food for 24 hours and using rice and chicken, start again. But that would depend, again, on how much vomiting with or without diarrhoea is going on. If mine do this I get to a vet for something to shut down the vomiting.

• Jojo

Hard to  say for sure, as I was not there to see the dog and how it was behaving generally. But maybe its best to be `safe than sorry` at times like you describe. Jmo.

• Trisha

Although copious and continual vomiting can cause dehydration, if this is a one-off I'd withhold food for 24 hours and using rice and chicken, start again.   But that would depend, again, on how much vomiting with or without diarrhoea is going on.   If mine do this I get to a vet for something to shut down the vomiting.

• patty

if u care for the pets then u take them to vet when sick