Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsEngagements & Weddings · 3 weeks ago

Why would my brother marry a deaf girl?

The woman he wants to marry is quite good looking. But shes deaf and mute. They communicate using sign language. My mother is disappointed, but she won't say anything. If he finds out, he might get angry.

What? A deaf girl?!!! Seriously, is that what you said?!  You have a problem with a deaf girl? Really?  Im serious, as I cant hear well.  Please try and speak up.

hahaha your racist to arent you... he is marrying her because she is a great lay and she doesn't talk back to much.. HE can actually watch a ball game in silence... GREAT FOR HIM...

I know it might seem like a far-fetched idea to you and your mom, but...people typically get married because they're in love. People marry everyday to others with disabilities. Just because a person has a disability does not mean they are not capable to love and most importantly, be loved.

If your brother is old enough to get married, then I'm pretty sure he's thought long and hard about the lifestyle he would have being married to a deaf and mute woman. People marry all different kinds of people because it feeds their needs.

As disappointing as you and your mom are, it's really none of your business to begin with and secondly shame on you for not wanting your brother/son to be happy.

If you were smart family , you would support your brother  and admire him for following his heart . If you are a smart family, you would learn sign language.

This is very sad to hear, besides if he is happy that’s all that matter. The Bible said that husband and wife should become one flesh not mother or anyone else. If they get married, she is marrying him not the whole family. If all gets alone that is a good thing if not too bad. Everybody needs love and it doesn’t matter who they or what conditions they may have and we all have flaws.

The intolerance of this gives me an aneurysm

• sarah

Why is your mother disappointed over him marrying a deaf girl? Would she rather him marrying a hearing, talking woman who spends all her time emotionally/physically abusing him?

Your brother loves this woman. If your mother can't accept that and be happy for him, that's her issue, not anyone else's.

• GB
      2 weeks agoReport

If  you, or any of your siblings get a disability, will your mother  say to anyone who wants to marry them, 'You could do better?'

• GB

If I was your sister, you might have posted a question, 'Why would my sister marry a lame man?  During my late husband's youth, he had to have an operation , because of a tumor behind his left knee. (He had a congenital condition called KT syndrome.)

Klippel-Trenaunay syndrome (KTS) is a rare congenital vascular disorder in which a limb may be affected by port wine stains (red-purple birthmarks involving blood vessels), varicose veins, and/or too much bone and soft tissue growth. The limb may be larger, longer, and/or warmer than normal. The cause is unknown.

The operation involved cutting through muscles and nerves, leaving him with a permanent limp, and unable to straighten the affected leg.  Like your  future s-i-l , he was good looking.  You don't mention her personality,  but I would guess that your brother  finds her pleasant to be with.  Her deafness is not a hurdle for them, as they can communicate.  Has it occurred to you that he want to marry her because  he LOVES her?  There are people who fall in love with  someone who has a disability.

Maybe you could point out the woman's good points to your mother, or tell her if your brother is mature enough to marry, then he is mature enough to choose his wife. She might say , 'I only want the best for my children.'  My mother said that, when she made her objections known.  She did not like it when I asked, 'If one of use was in an accident that left us disabled, ' would you think it wrong for us to get married?'

In spite of my mother's misgivings, she came to like my husband.

• drip

Deaf mute!?   Please at least try to be more PC. 

I went to high school and community college that has a large Deaf Ed department. They are normal people. Able to function on society.  They go to school, get jobs, have friends, and fall in love., Both you and your mom need to education yourself and learn sign language.

If your brother and his girlfriend are happy together that's all that should matter just supportive of their love

Sorry but your mom is an ********. Being hard of hearing doesn't change how someone is, loves, thinks, and feels. Your mom needs to grow up.