Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 2 months ago

Does my baby have autism?

My 10 month old baby plays with the weirdest things such as straws. If I have a cup with a straw in it, he’ll pull it out and play with it. If he sees the cup on a table, he’ll reach for it and push off with his legs to get to the straw. He’ll literally find a way to get to the straw. I just thought I saw somewhere that said autistic kids play with unusual objects 

• GB

At 10 months he hasn't learnt what objects are 'unusual'.  

• sarah

I think this is totally normal for kids that young. My daughter is eight months old and likes to bang on the coffee table like she's playing a drum, lol. And when my nephews and nieces were younger and would get toys for birthdays and Christmas, they would spend about five seconds "oohing" and ahhing" over the toy before promptly turning their back to play with the box/wrapping paper it came in. Little kids are just weird like that, lol.

Toddlers that age do alot of things probably .

No, babies will play with ANYTHING, boxes, cups, straws.  

• Leanne

Dear lord. NO. This is normal. Dont bother buying toys. Babies love to play with cups, keys, water bottles, tissues etc. 

That is totally normal for a 10 month old. You need some education in child development so you won't be worrying all the time.

That is not in any way unusual.

• PR

For a baby, that is not an unusual object. Babies are learning about their environment and will want to pick up, look at, examine, taste all sorts of things. They will push things off tables to see them fall (learning about gravity), look at wads of dust, hair, play with boxes instead of toys, put things in and out of other objects, carry small objects around for no particular reason, and all of this is learning. 

Unless this is ALL your baby plays with, and nothing else, I wouldn't worry too much about this. Your baby is learning about his environment. Perhaps he likes the way the straw bends, or the colors, or the fact that they are easy to hold onto.

Give your son containers with objects he can put in and out of the container. Give him things he can bang on. Find things he cannot swallow or hurt himself with in your drawers, and place them in areas he can find them so he can play with these. The next day you can replace these with other objects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv0gBFim0xo

Youtube thumbnail

https://parenting.firstcry.com/articles/learning-a...

This question makes you look more autistic than him...

• Mandy

Do you really think it’s sensible for you to think that your baby might be autistic because he plays with straws?  But, if you really do think so, why are you asking about it here?