How can I keep things going?

My boyfriend is facing many hardships and it’s put a strain on our relationship but we want to stick together and make it work.  How can I help us to stay together?  What can I do to help him?  

We’re in our 30s.  He’s stuck paying his uncle’s mortgage, working full time and going to Uni.  It’s a new relationship but a serious one.  

Favorite Answer

One huge favor you could do for yourself is stay out of his business.

You can be supportive but overall he has to work through it.

• Alan H

He needs to ask if all he is doing is needful.

WHY is he paying that mortgage?

How can he study seriously whilst working full time?

Where do you fit into all this?

Maybe you need mature guidance

How are his hardships putting a strain on YOU? He needs to deal with his own stuff.

Our partners need to accept us and our lives and what we are going through at face value. If they can't, then we are with the wrong person.

I think the best thing to do would be to share experiences that will take his mind off whatever it is that is going on in his life at the moment. For example, planning fun date nights is a great way of having fun together without going over the top. Also, be sure to place an emphasis on listening to things that this guy has to say. Many people are good talkers but it is the ability to listen that brings you closer to the person who you are with. Lastly, do not be afraid to give this guy compliments and express your feelings for him. Doing that will boost his confidence and make him feel really valued. I really hope this helps :)

• Expat

Don’t get involved with paying his uncle’s mortgage, but if you want to be supportive just try to keep your dates inexpensive like cooking at home or going on dates that cost little or no money.