Liv asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Is it normal that I’m worried about my mom?

My mom just turned 60, and has always been the type to judge everyone and everyone but herself. She’ll be quick to call anyone out on their mistakes, but the minute she gets called out she runs away and says ‘I gotta go!’ I’ve always felt like I’ve never been good enough for her. One minute she’ll be like it understand I’ll help you get through this’ the next she’ll switch and criticize me for not being ‘enough’. I do NOTHING but praise her and I refuse to lie to her. Sure I had my days as a teenager where I would fight with her, but overall I respect her and everything she’s ever done. Recently I told her how tight money was and she was telling me how ‘well, that’s life you should figure it out’ when reality is that my hours from work got cut and my temporary job ended sooner than I thought when I found out through email. She’s telling me it’s not that hard when she’s still getting her divorce settlement that she openly admitted getting, and her boyfriend pays for everything. I love her, but at the same time I’m worried about her. Her boyfriend is even fed up with her not listening to anything anyone says. 

i think its normal for you to worry about her

"Figure it out," they say.  "It's easy," they say.

Chyeah.  You'll really be figuring it out when you're single, you lose your job, you have no income, rent's coming up, you need gas for the car, money for the laundry machine, you need to feed the kids, your electricity, gas, water and phone are about to be shut off and you're about to be evicted.  Oh boy!  You'll really be figuring it out then.  It's soooooooo easy...

Don't expect to change someone who is 60 years old. And don't "worry" too much about her. She's made it this far in life without your assistance.

Just be a good daughter at this point. 

i think its normal to be worried about her

No, it's not normal. She sounds like an awful person.

• Nicey8

Just move out. Take care. Respect her.