How to deal with rumors/gossip at the workplace?

What exactly is the best approach to rumors/gossip in the workplace?

Ignore it- and get called rude/outcast 

Confront it- and get called rude again

?

I’ve tried both and it doesn’t do anything. Do you just leave the situation? 

It doesn’t hurt my feelings per say, but it is exhausting/irritating to be around that type of energy all of them time. 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

talk to your manager about it

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Don't get involved in office politics.  Do your job and go home.

• 1 month ago

I don't think you have tried both.  What I think you did was ignore it by ignoring everyone.  Someone who ignores everyone is an outcast by choice.  What others meant by ignoring it is to not acknowledge the rumors and continue with your relationships.  If the rumors are brought up, you tell people they aren't true and change the subject, not confront them over it.  When you confront people over it you immediately have to defend yourself.  But when you give no credibility to the rumor you don't have to be defensive and those around you get to see the real you to choose what they wish to believe.  The nice person they see before them or the unfounded story they heard.  People tend to side with what they know first hand which is how people live down false rumors all the time.  Good Luck.

• 1 month ago

talk to your manager if its that bad

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Laurie
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The best approach is to refuse to participate. Don’t start gossip, don't repeat gossip, don’t listen to gossip, and don’t believe gossip.

• 1 month ago

Ignore it. Don't participate in it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.