Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 month ago

I want a hysterectomy ?

I am currently 17 years old and I want to get a hysterectomy. As long as I can remember I have never and will never want children. The entire process terrifies me. All my friends know that I hate the idea of children, whether it be the pregnancy process or actually giving up my entire life for a stupid child that will just ruin everything I will have worked for

.

I don’t have any medical problems that would need me to get a hysterectomy, I just can’t stand being like this. I think I have dysphoria. It’s not that I want to become a man or change my gender, I just don’t want to have this thing (uterus) inside of me any longer. Every time I have had sex, I get so scared that the condom will break, or that he won’t want to wear it. And maybe someone will say that I should just go on birth control, or get the bar, but I’ve thought about that and I have two reasons why I won’t go there. Firstly I don’t want to do anything to my body that stops it from working how it’s meant to, whereas if I literally take out the part I don’t want, then my body is still working perfectly fine. Secondly, I have thought of getting birth control when I was in my last relationship, but the more I thought about it the more scared I got that he would just stop wearing a condom, thinking it’s fine because I’m on birth control. But for me, it’s not fine, I would still be afraid of becoming pregnant.I guess I just want to know how and when and if I can get a hysterectomy if it’s not medically urgent. 

You have to wait until the minimum age recommended by your doctor. You definitely don't have to have kids if you don't want, but if you're paranoid about birth control and have possible dysphoria then that's something to look into beforehand

You are WAY TOO YOUNG for such surgery, especially without a valid medical reason. What you need to do is get yourself into THERAPY with a qualified mental health professional, so that you can work through these unrealistic fears and phobias about pregnancy and childbirth. It's not healthy or normal to have the kind of attitude you display, it really isn't. And if it isn't dealt with, it will ruin your life.

You wont get a hysterectomy at your age without a valid medical reason. You wont even find a Dr willing to do a tubal ligation.

A Dr will offer you various birth control options. And you dont have to tell your partner that you are on birth control either.. Let him continue to use the condom. There's nothing wrong with using both.

I had a hysterectomy a few years ago (I am 38, have two kids, had a tubal ligation prior to the hysto and have a history of endometriosis and pmdd).. I can tell you that my body does NOT function the same. First, its harder to achieve orgasm, and they are not anywhere near as intense. I have a decreased sex drive. I also have bladder weakness. I have to wear pads when I have a cold because I pee a little when I cough hard. I visit the restoom far more frequently than what I used to. Kegals only do so much to help regain that control. Because of the amount of pain that periods caused me, the changes are worth it to me.

You are too young. No doctor worth his or her medical degree would even consider giving you, at 17, a hysterectomy. You should definitely seek out professional mental health support for the issues that lead you to want this done. As for the time being, stop having sex. The way you are reacting to even the slightest possibility of becoming pregnant indicates that you are not mentally mature enough to handle being sexually active. When you get to a place in therapy where you have settled the fears down and gotten over your body dysmorphia, you can then sanely sit down with your gynecologist and discuss options.

Uh......you should be able to have the surgery if you want it. Go to your GYN doctor and ask for it.

• W1 month agoReport

That's ridiculous. No doctor will do that to a healthy woman, let alone a 17 year old with obvious phobia issues. 

A hysterectomy is major surgery.  It also has major side effects that can have a huge impact on your quality of life - it stops your body from working normally and can require you to be on medication for the rest of your life.  It's not elective surgery.  Look into a tubal ligation.

• MissA

You basically can't.

It's a healthy functioning organ that is doing things for you besides keeping you fertile. They aren't going to remove your gallbladder on a whim either even though you can live without that too.

You can:

1. Get a very reliable form of you-controlled birth control.

2. Continue to insist on condoms. A guy who decides unilaterally that he will not wear condoms without your consent is committing sexual assault.

3. Seek mental health help to have helpful levels of anxiety about actual risks you deal with instead of these bonkers ones that you are currently having.