Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

is a boston terrier a good pet for older people, no kids at h ome?

not unless they have plenty of money to pay the vet bills

A poodle is the most intelligent dog breed.

https://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/boston-terrier#/sli...

Actually, depending on where you buy your Boston Terrier, I'd suggest that although he is a terrier, he may not have all the characteristics many terriers have.   I urge you, via the relevant Breed Club where you live, to locate a reputable experienced breeder and by appointment, go visit and SEE the adults.  Try to 'ignore' the puppies and concentrate on the adults!  Good breeders should be willing to sit with you and answer all the question you will have, honestly. 

You might, however, look for an older one, perhaps one a breeder would love to get out of kennels and into a quiet 'fireside' home.

Good luck.

ps    Just to add, as I've seen this suggested here (from a well known troll on here!!), a Basset Hound would challenge you big time and remember they are a big dog on short legs, taking up easily as much room as a Labrador.  They can run upwards of 35 kg (as my current one is) and getting them into a bath - well just not for the elderly if it can be avoided.  Once older, they may, however, be content to live a sofa-life and more so if you are there most of the time.  Again go look at adult Bassets and see if this would be a fit.

• *****
      1 month agoReport

As this couple doesn't want a "crazy puppy running all over the house" as stated in a comment, and find their pug/beagle mix to have been "bad" for four years, the BT is NOT appropriate for them.

Read what Ninefinger has put for a start and then I'm adding my piece after reading your responses in your comments to other answers 

NO...it's not a good dog for you based on those comments. 

In fact the best dog for people who are not active and have arthritic problems is an OLD dog from the shelter.   Don't dismiss this as they give tons of affection and are so easy (usually)  to care for even if some have a little baggage. 

With such little activitiy it would be cruel to bring in a puppy knowing that you need to still be active in 10 to 15 yrs time. 

I am 66 and take in Rottweilers of all ages,  however for keepers I now only take in old dogs and have just taken in a 9 1/2 yr old although she thinks she's only about two !!!   But she is at classes weekly or more and gets tons of activities with a good walk in the woods daily.   Base your decision on what YOU can give the dog and not the other way round. 

• patty

I WOULD gET A little dog eg a chuahua. Most bigger dogs need a lot of exercise

• Vesna1 month agoReport

they at mean, and don't like kids, I have grandchildren

Obviously none of the other users that answered this question has had experience with Terriers.  All Terrier breeds are hunters. And very active. The answer depends on how active the couple is. And how much time and energy they are willing to put in training the dog. These breeds need plenty of exercise and stimulation. If they are couch potatoes.  I recommend they do not get this breed of dog. Don't get me wrong now. Boston Terriers make excellent companions and family pets if they are properly trained at an early age. Especially to control their barking. At times it can be a little head strong. But we all can be. If you do decide to get a Boston Terrier do your research on reputable breeders. Ask for references and medical history for the mother and the male that fathered the litter.

• ron h
      1 month agoReport

The very best dog I ever had was a BT.  He was a very big BT-30 lbs when  he was really healthy.  Actually he came from a bad breeder, but he was great.  He loved walks and he actually preferred to be on leash.  Old people??  It they're active people.

Boston’s make good family dogs if socialized well as young pups.  They are good for walks and some love chasing balls or sticks and can be very personable and playful with their families.

Their size makes them easier to handle vs a large dog, however they tend to be a big dog into a small - medium body.  Boston’s also make great dogs to train,they are greet in obedience, fly ball, dancing and just about any task you can set before them.  Always willing to please and eager to learn. 

• Vesna1 month agoReport

anyone who is making comments regarding old people and dogs, I don't want to hear from you, I am a young old person!!!!positive vibes only or keepthem to yourself

• *****

If they are active and want an active, lively dog, perhaps. Not enough information is given to know if a Boston would be a good fit for the specific people or not. 

• *****
      1 month agoReport

Too bad. A puppy IS NOT suited for your lifestyle and wants as stated. With patience, nearly every sort of dog can be found in shelter or rescue. And a 7-10 year old small breed has plenty of life ahead of them. 

My neighbor has one and he seams like a well behaved friendly dog.Doesn't bark much and he loves chasing his frisbee. Do your homework on the breed before you make a final decision.

i think it is a good pet