alex asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 3 weeks ago

Installing windows 10 over one corrupt inaccessible windows 7?

Basically ive tried every recovery and rebuild method possible but my original windows 7 will not open, it just gets stuck on a black screen after the login screen, which i have everything on ( So i have a 2nd one on my other hard drive installed which im typing from right now ) So can i install windows 10 on the corrupt inaccessible one or only on the one im logged in on?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Friend what you do is you get a copy of Linux mint on a USB stick and you boot to it once you have booted to the stick you use Linux mint to recover your pictures and your documents and you're important things from the hard disk you can save it to a USB stick or you can save it to an external hard drive. After you have your data you completely wipe out the corrupted drive and install a brand new fresh copy of Windows 10 and you use the license key from Windows 7 which is stuck on the side of your computer. A genuine Windows 7 key will still activate Windows 10.

• Login to reply the answers
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You can try to install win10 from scratch on the corrupted drive but if the drive itself is damaged, it would be best to take it out now so you won't lose more files.

• 3 weeks ago

You can buy a 1tb drive for $40 now. If you suspect the drive might be bad, don't take the chance of loading your OS on it, and buy another one 

• 3 weeks ago

Is it possible that your hard drive is bad? If yes- then you should not attempt to install 10 on it.

• alex3 weeks agoReport

Im not sure. Whats the easiest route to recover whats on the drive without logging into it though? 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.