Why do we warn people about bear attacks or mountain lion attacks? I mean why specify what it is, does it matter what wants to eat you?

Simple.. Everything is depending on the Food chain. And even though they are wild animals they too show mother love. Mostly they attack humans when they are in panic thinking we are the danger for their cubs. 

Coming to the point, we do warn people about these bear attacks because, they only attack when the human was alone. So if anyone get attacked the only way to escape from them was only by fighting with them. I believe now a days mostly none of us can fight with these wild animals.

So we warn them.. 

• Todd

I'd want to know what animals to be wary of in case I spot one. If it just said be scared of animals, that would be too vague for me. A good example would be moose. People might think they're harmless, just a very large hoofed animal.  That's a very bad assumption, so we might want to specifically tell them to beware of moose.

• JimZ

I used to hike quite a bit where the mountain lion ate a couple people a few years ago, in Orange County near Saddleback mountain. I have seen mountain lions there on two occassions and heard one once.  Each time it was threatening.  I was running down the hill once and thought I saw a guy with his golden retriever but when I got to he was freaked out and thanked me for coming when I did because he said a mountain lion was facing him down and ran away when it saw me approach.  I thought it was a dog but it was ways a way and I was running.   They can be quite dangerous and they can kill you.  I have had coyotes approaching me often.  The one on my avatar was circling me at about 10 feet and seemed to want to make me run but I wasn't scared of him so he left.  If a mountain lion did that I would freak out but do my best to hide that from the lion.  

I think they warn so that noone can come back later after it ate her and say why didn't you warn anyone.  

I want to clarify something-

Animals do not attack humans because they want to eat us! Animals generally attack for 3 reasons 1) Getting too close to their young 2) Getting in between them and their food source 3) Startling them in the wild and giving them no escape.

Black bears for instance will very rarely kill a human! Black bears are the one of the biggest sucks out there, they will RUN away from a human in the wild if spotted, they usually don't even engage in confrontation. The main time they will, is if a human gets too close to the cubs, and even then the Bear takes a defensive position as opposed to an offensive one! Bears will typically raise their paws, make swiping motions, roar, and will do fake charges long before they will swat a human with their paws! 

Cougars? They are much more vicious when cornered! Also they will roam along many hiking trails, which is why there are "warning" signs, its meant to warn humans to not get too close to the kits.

Hyperbole. Wow,, 1 cougar attack all of last year in America.

Bears are dangerous when they have cubs. Mountain lions are not known to be that serious a danger to people, they and cheetahs (close relatives) are the two most tolerant large cat species.

Not all bears or cougars are equally likely to attack people Those that do attack people are very likely to do it again to other people That is why people are warned. The warning  will likely reduce the number of people who will go to that area and that in turn means the likelihood of more injuries or deaths will be reduced.

so they know when they see it coming that they might be coming after the

• ioerr

different animals have different behaviors.  if you want to avoid being eaten, it might be good to know what animal you can expect to encounter

What are they supposed to say?

• Negotiator3 weeks agoReport

How about beware of wild animals?  Much simpler without people having to learn the whole animal kingdom for Gods sake.