Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsEngagements & Weddings · 1 month ago

Wedding ceremony guests ?

Is it ok to ask people to stand for a wedding ceremony if it’s outside and going to be short ceremony done by justice of the peace 

I have been to two weddings, or should I say ceremonies, where guests stood for the short ceremony. There were a few tears available for the elderly.

I wouldn't second-guess yourself on this one as it is common practice.

• mJc

Yes, but I'd have a few chairs for anyone who has trouble standing for long periods of time (elderly relatives)...

Yes it's ok to ask them to stand.

Not really - your guests may not be all able to comfortably stand for long (for a variety of health reasons).

why are there no chairs??? some people may have medical problems where they can't stand, even for a short amount of time. please be considerate....

• drip

My cousin got married outside under the trees and then when inside tents for the reception.  It would of worked out fine, but it started to rain just as the vows were being said.  A summer shower out of no where.   Have a plan B set up. 

And realize even for 20 minutes some guest won’t be able to stand. If you have anyone you know won’t be able to stand try to have a couple of chairs for them.  Otherwise it should be fine.  Timing. Be sure to start the ceremony as soon as your guests are situated.  

No it’s still rude.

Plus even if it’s a short ceremony they’ll still get there at LEAST 15 minutes early and have to stand around like they’re waiting for a bus.

And they will be in dressy shoes which are not usually comfortable.

Nobody gives a shiiiiit about the small details of your wedding. They ARE going to be pissed off if you make them stand around. Pony up and rent some chairs. Be a good host and take care of your guests.

If you honesty can’t afford ceremony chairs then hold the ceremony where the reception is and let people sit in their dinner seats to watch the ceremony.

• Beverly S
      1 month agoReport

I have to agree.  I wouldn't want to have to stand outside dressed up for a wedding.

• Foofa

If no one on the guest list is elderly or disabled you might get away with it. But your invites should suggest people dress casually so no one has to stand there in stiletto heels. It would be better to just rent a few chairs. That's pretty cheap.

depends on who's there, some people might have medical issues which make it hard for them to stand

You could do that, no problem, but make sure the ceremony is short.  It might be a problem for any elderly guests, such as a grandparent or someone with mobility issues.  

We got married that way too, but we only had our parents, Best Man, Maid of Honor, and one of my brothers (as photographer) at the actual wedding ceremony.  All the guests just went to the reception for the par-tay!  Good luck.